SVS volunteers promote literacy through Dr. Seuss

<p>Ball State’s Student Voluntary Services held their annual Dr. Seuss Literacy and Art Fair on Feb. 25 at the Kennedy Library. <em>Andrew Harp // DN</em></p>

Ball State’s Student Voluntary Services held their annual Dr. Seuss Literacy and Art Fair on Feb. 25 at the Kennedy Library. Andrew Harp // DN

Students can email questions about volunteering to svs@bsu.edu.

Ball State’s Student Voluntary Services held their annual Dr. Seuss Literacy and Art Fair Saturday at the Kennedy Library.

SVS Vice President Madison Lyon said the fair is important both to the children of Muncie and the volunteers of Ball State.

“It's an opportunity to promote literacy in a community whose schools are undergoing stressful changes," Lyon said. "It's also an opportunity for prospective educators to interact with students in the community."

About a dozen volunteers were present at the event, each of them helping with the different stations that the kids could rotate around.

These included arts and crafts tables with Lorax mustaches and “Oh, The Places You’ll Go” hot air balloons, and games including fishing for colorful paper fishes with words and letters on them.

There was also a showing of the film “The Lorax,” readings of various Dr. Seuss books and the opportunity for kids to take pictures with the Cat in the Hat.

Casey Leonardi, a junior hospitality major, helped with the welcoming desk, handing out goodie bags to the kids one by one as they entered to join the festivities. 

“We’re trying to promote reading," Leonardi said. "I think kids are going more towards technology and would rather play on the computer. Dr. Seuss is a really fun way to put that message across."

SVS has volunteering all throughout the year, but also sponsors one-time, annual events.

“One-time events like this one are promoted with signs around campus, especially in the office of student life. It’s a great way to get involved and they’re always a lot of fun,” Leonardi said.

Students can keep up with events like this one through BennyLink, and sign up to be a program coordinator through SVS if they’re interested in the planning process.