Making college relationships work

Has someone ever told you that whatever relationship you're in isn't going to work? That you'll break up within a few days, or a few weeks, or if they're being nice, a few months. 

Many college students hear these words regularly when it comes to finding love on campus. College is a change for everyone many feel the strain of the new stress, change and commitments.

However, there is a hope. Relationships need to start with a strong base. Some students shared what they think help a relationship to succeed. 

1. Communication

Communication seems to be the No. 1 priority for the people in relationships.

"One hundred percent communication, especially since it's long distance," freshman Riley Thompson said. "We also try to make sure we put our friendship before our relationship. He's not just my boyfriend, he's my best friend to and we don't want to forget that when it comes to talking about things."

2. Trust

Chayleigh Harrington, a freshman who has been in a relationship for more than a year, said trust is a big factor in her relationship.

"We really rely on trust and if that trust is broken it kind of puts a spin on things," she said.

Tyne Mather, a freshman education major who is in long-distance relationship, also said trust is a major key in any relationship. 

"Communication is big one, but so is trust," Mather said. "We always try to remember we've been together for so long we can't let one thing get in the middle of our relationship."

3. Time Management

Kyle Warner said when it came to his girlfriend and himself, it was all about making time for each other.

"We do our studies together, we get lunch or dinner together almost every day. We try to go out on a date at least once a month even though we're broke," Warner said. "If there's ever a party or something, we try to go together. We just figure it out. Make time."

Leslie Gartrell, a junior, said, "We see each other a lot. We fit each other into our schedules. We go to dinner or work out or something along those lines."

It may take some time, but with a variety of strategies and some of the tips from above, college relationships can succeed.