Burglar-proof your home for spring break

MUNCIE-- Burglars are always on the lookout and police say college students are an easy target. 59 percent of Ball State students live in off-campus houses.

The Ball State University Police Department reported four burglaries and one attempted burglary over winter break. Police Chief Jim Duckham says this happens a lot over university breaks.

“If I was a burglar and I knew 5,000 homes where there was nobody living in, but their stuff was still there, how easy would it be to break in?” Duckham said.

Emily Shonka, a senior, had her house broken into over winter break.

“I was really freaked out,” Shonka said.

She was out of town during the burglary, but University Police notified her of suspicious activity.

“My roommate’s window was open,” Shonka said.

The burglars couldn’t get through that window, but they continued to find a way. They were able to enter Shonka’s home through the window of her room.

“It is hard when we are in cheap rental houses and can’t do much about security,” Shonka said.

Shonka decided to get creative. She purchased a window alarm from Dollar Tree that goes off when movement is sensed.

Shonka also placed security system stickers on all her windows, even though she doesn’t have a security system activated.

Moore also lists other ways to secure your home including door handle alarms, wood pieces to wedge in a window, motion sensors, and security cameras. All items can be purchased at any hardware store ranging from 40 cents to 30 dollars.

Duckham says there also some ways you can secure your home for free.

“Don’t post on social media, and if my neighbors are going to be home, I would ask them to keep an eye on my house,” Duckham said. “Cancel you mail and newspapers.”

University police say if you suspect any suspicious activity to report it immediately at (765) 285-1832.