Broadway actress Sutton Foster to return to campus, co-direct 'Shrek: The Musical'

<p>Sutton Foster, a Broadway and television actress and Tony Award winner, will be coming to Muncie in the spring to co-direct Ball State's production of "Shrek: The Musical." Foster received an honorary doctorate degree from Ball State in 2012 and gave the spring commencement address. <em>Samantha Brammer // DN File</em></p>

Sutton Foster, a Broadway and television actress and Tony Award winner, will be coming to Muncie in the spring to co-direct Ball State's production of "Shrek: The Musical." Foster received an honorary doctorate degree from Ball State in 2012 and gave the spring commencement address. Samantha Brammer // DN File

Notable Broadway Roles

2014: "Violet" as Violet

2011: "Anything Goes" as Reno Sweeny (Tony award-winner)

2008: "Shrek The Musical" as Princess Fiona

2006: "The Drowsy Chaperone" as Janet Van De Graaf

2002: "Thoroughly Modern Millie" as Millie Dillmount (Tony award-winner)

Source: Playbill.com

Broadway and television actress and Tony award-winner Sutton Foster is coming to Muncie in the spring, according to the Department of Theatre and Dance.

Foster will co-direct Ball State’s production of “Shrek: The Musical" with Bill Jenkins, the department's chairperson. Jenkins will lead the directing when Foster is not in Muncie. 

Foster generally directs shows she’s been in on Broadway. She originated the role of Fiona in “Shrek” when it made its debut in 2008.

The last time Foster was in Muncie to co-direct was in 2012 when she worked on “The Drowsy Chaperone," bringing her expertise to the role of Janet van de Graff, which she played on broadway. 

She has been making trips to Muncie since 2006, teaching master classes and hosting workshops. In 2012, she received an honorary doctorate degree from Ball State and gave the spring commencement address.

Foster has several awards for her work on Broadway, including two Tony awards. She is currently starring in TV Land’s show “Younger,” and made an appearance in the “Summer” episode of “Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life.”