TAMING OF THE SHREW: Our voice, our rights

Bailey Shrewsbury is a sophomore journalism major and writes "Taming of the Shrew" for the Daily News. Her views do not necessarily agree with those of the newspaper. Write to Bailey at bbshrewsbury@bsu.edu.

Bailey Shrewsbury

America has had one of the biggest upsets in political history and has elected a man who has no background in politics or the military. 

Donald Trump was a unique candidate from the start, resonating with many Americans because of his "say-anything" attitude. 

But what does this mean for America? We the people have elected a man who has no problem with saying homophobic, racist, sexist or xenophobic things. This is the man representing our country. 

Think Donald Trump deserves a chance? Read this column.

Some say we vote for the party's views, not specifically the candidate. I call bullcrap. When you vote for Donald Trump, you are saying his remarks are OK. You are letting this man speak and represent the whole of America. 

Donald Trump is not my president. He does not represent anything I stand for at all and many Americans stand with me. 

Protests have erupted across the nation in response to the president-elect and many people are appalled or disgusted with these. Many against these protests think they're disrespectful or a waste of time. I'm here to tell you they're not. 

Are we expecting Donald Trump to be thrown unceremoniously from office and Hilary Clinton crowned the new victory? No. We are looking toward the future. We are trying to make sure such a hateful person can never take office and make lasting effects on our America. 

Many movements started with a single voice or a small march. America is one of the few countries in the world where you can pick up a sign and let your voice be heard, without being jailed or having legal action taken against you. That's the beauty of America, the freedom we have to stand up to say, "This isn't right and I'm not going to sit by and let it go unnoticed." 

Women haven't even had the vote for one hundred years, women of color not having gotten the vote until 1964 with the passing of the Civil Rights Act. 

These two great movements in America started with one voice, one sign and one person. People marched by the thousands in protest of archaic laws. Our brothers and sisters were being discriminated against and told they were second-class citizens, and they weren't going to sit by and let it happen. 

At the time, these protests and movements were seen are ridiculous, barbaric or idiotic. But if these people hadn't stood up and said something, who knows what America would look like today. 

America is a beautiful place, where our voices can really be heard. Don't condemn your fellow Americans for protesting or speaking out for their rights. Instead, reach out to them and try to listen and understand why they're feeling this way. America is built on immigrants and different people, don't get to caught up in your headspace.