ALL HALLOW'S EVE: Give Donald Trump a chance

Editor's Note: In Wednesday's online publication of this article the writer referred to people of color as "colored," an outdated and offensive use of the term. Since the original publication, this word has been changed to "minorities" by members of The Daily News staff.

Kirsten Wamsley is a sophomore journalism major and writes "All Hallows Eve" for the Daily News. Her views do not necessarily agree with those of the newspaper. Write to Kirsten at kmwamsley@bsu.edu.

Kirsten Wamsley

Ever since the moment President-Elect Donald Trump was announced, the country went into uproar. I may disagree as well with the election, and do firmly stand by the idea “Not My President,” but I don’t believe that the revolts should exist. I have seen daily content about the revolts on social media since the election. The posts all vary in severity but include things such as: Protests against Trump winning, individuals in fear and the ridicule and name calling they are facing. 

I also see the racist acts done in Trump's name, as well as minorities attacking those who voted for Trump. I've also seen our flag being torn and burned. The nation is in an uproar. 

Don't think Donald Trump is the ideal selection for president? Read this column. 

I personally did not vote. Why would I go in and vote when I have no confidence in the candidates for my future? For my safety in my country? I may not look it, but I am a minority. My ancestors are Native American. I am also a woman. But I am a woman who enjoys the safety of a weapon at her side and the choice to do with her body as she pleases, but for the safety of her and her family. Neither candidate was for me. I will not be belittled for this decision I made, either. That does not exclude me from the right to be upset about the outcome other.

We all have the right to a PEACEFUL protest. I personally would have attended the Not My President rally on campus had I not been working at the time. However, the acts that are happening with violence in the name of our president-elect are far from what should be happening. We have fearful citizens. We have people wanting to leave the country. There are those who are attacking others because of what has been portrayed that Donald Trump believes.

Racism existed before the election — and now those who denied it can no longer deny it. But I believe that now, more than ever, we need to help people understand one another, to understand that it is OK to be different and OK to not understand that a person can be gay, or transgender. 

We need to love ourselves, our friends and our family more than ever. We need to be there for those around us and be a support for others, even if we do not know them personally.

I am giving Trump the benefit of the doubt. I am giving him the option to prove himself. I am an ally for minorities, for women, for LGBT+, for anyone fearful of this election. I stand to make America Great Again.