STICKA TO ME: Civil war two?

Devan Sticka is a sophomore journalism major and writes "Sticka To Me" for the Daily News. Her views do not necessarily agree with those of the newspaper. Write to Devan at desticka@bsu.edu.

America is under attack by its own citizens through protests against the president-elect, Donald Trump, and vice-president-elect and governor of Indiana, Mike Pence.

Protestors are chanting, “Not our president,” as they walk the streets.

Devan Sticka

Our own campus held a protest, less than 24 hours after the election results came out. Ball State students and members of the Muncie community held signs and flags as words were used to describe their emotions.

Then there’s the attacks from Clinton supporters against Trump supporters and vice versa.

I recently saw a video circling around Twitter where a man was pulled from his car and beaten in the middle of the street because he voted for Trump.

Then there was a gay man by the name of Chris Ball who was allegedly attacked by Trump supporters in an alley outside of a bar in California. This man was smashed in the head with a glass bottle falling to the ground and left to bleed.

The country shouldn’t be this way.

The American people are battling against each other in what seems a fight to the death, but a death of what?

Donald Trump’s power? Our freedoms? Our dignity?

Clinton is viewed as a crooked, secretive woman who hid emails and is responsible for Benghazi. Trump is viewed as racist, sexist and narcissistic.

I have no say and no right to complain about who won, but when I saw the results, all I could think was, “What happened?”

In my views, neither candidate was completely worthy, so I didn’t vote.

I couldn’t get myself to morally vote with a clear conscience for either candidate.

I couldn’t vote for Clinton because I don’t agree with Democratic views, and I couldn’t vote for Trump because I don’t agree with his attitude toward minorities.

All I could think about when I was deciding if I wanted to register to vote was all the videos I had seen of him kicking out minorities at his rallies.

I don’t think of myself as a racist, or sexist — I am a woman after all — and I have a major soft spot in my heart for all those disabled, both physically and mentally.

Just because someone votes for the opposite party from you, doesn’t make them a horrible person.

Not all the people who voted for Trump are racists, sexists or any other category of a person who is against a certain minority group. People vote for the party’s views.

All I’m saying is that I have faith in the citizens of our country, but seeing videos of protests and attacks make me want to scream.

We need to pull ourselves together and understand that the next four years could bring struggles for EVERYONE across America, not just yourself.

These protests, though often peaceful, and attacks are a disgrace and it pains me to see our country try to tear each other apart as if we’re starting a second Civil War.

Whatever struggles come our way, we will survive.

We are Americans and we don’t go down without a fight.