ICHE website to help veterans transition to higher education, workforce

<p>The Indiana Commission for Higher Education&nbsp;unveiled a revamped website, LearnMoreIndiana.org/military for Veterans Day. The website aims to&nbsp;help&nbsp;local veterans transition into higher education,&nbsp;the workforce and civilian life after service.&nbsp;<i style="font-size: 14px;">learnmoreindiana.org/military // Photo Courtesy</i></p>

The Indiana Commission for Higher Education unveiled a revamped website, LearnMoreIndiana.org/military for Veterans Day. The website aims to help local veterans transition into higher education, the workforce and civilian life after service. learnmoreindiana.org/military // Photo Courtesy

This Veterans Day, the Indiana Commission for Higher Education has unveiled a revamped website, LearnMoreIndiana.org/military, in an effort to help local veterans successfully transition into higher education, the workforce and civilian life after service.

ICHE has partnered with the Indiana Department of Veterans’ Affairs, the Department of Workforce Development and other state and national groups to create the website that will serve as a one-stop-shop for Indiana veterans, military service members and their families who are seeking information about transitioning from the military into college and careers, according to a media release.

“Our Indiana veterans have selflessly served our state and nation, and we have to ensure that the state of Indiana is there for them when they return home,” Gov. Mike Pence said in the media release. “It’s important that our veterans have access to any and all resources that will help them assimilate back into civilian life and provide for themselves and their families. I’m thankful for the continued work of the Indiana Commission for Higher Education, the Indiana Department of Workforce Development, and the Indiana Department of Veterans’ Affairs as they create a one-stop-shop for veterans seeking to better their lives through higher education or career options.”

According to data from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, there are more than 465,000 veterans living in Indiana — over half of whom are working age (under 65). The number of Indiana veterans using education benefits is also steadily increasing. The amount more than doubled from 7,809 in 2009 to 16,075 in 2013.

Indiana Department of Veterans’ Affairs Director James Brown said in the media release he "highly encourages fellow veterans to take advantage of this opportunity."

“As the veteran population and the demand for higher education grows, it is essential that veterans in Indiana take advantage of the resources offered within this website as well as the services offered by the state,” Brown said.