Former award-winning instructor dies at 84

<p>Former award-winning Ball State&nbsp;journalism instructor&nbsp;Howard "Howie" Snider passed away on Oct. 30 at IU Health Ball Memorial Hospital. Snider was born in Muncie in 1932 and taught at Ball State from&nbsp;1981 to 2004.&nbsp;<i style="font-size: 14px;">Ball State University Department of Journalism Facebook // Photo Courtesy</i></p>

Former award-winning Ball State journalism instructor Howard "Howie" Snider passed away on Oct. 30 at IU Health Ball Memorial Hospital. Snider was born in Muncie in 1932 and taught at Ball State from 1981 to 2004. Ball State University Department of Journalism Facebook // Photo Courtesy

Read a Letter to the Editor from one Snider's mentees here.

Howard "Howie" Snider, a former award-winning journalism instructor at Ball State, passed away Oct. 30 at IU Health Ball Memorial Hospital.

Snider, who was born in Muncie in 1932, attended school in Fort Wayne and later enlisted in the U.S. Navy in 1952.

During his time in the Navy, he met his would-be wife, Judith McKenzie. They married on May 28, 1954, in Long Beach, Mississippi.

He later transferred to the U.S. Marine Corps where he retired as a Lieutenant Colonel in 1972, following twenty years of service in the military. His awards from his service include two National Defense Service Medals, five Air Medals, a Vietnam Service Medal, a Vietnam Campaign Medal, a Combat Action Ribbon, two Presidential Unit Citations and a Bronze Star Medal with distinction for valor in combat, according to his obituary.

Snider received his bachelor's degree from Ball State and was later an instructor in the journalism department from 1981 to 2004. He was a three-time recipient of the university's Instructor of the Year Award and was known for his use of popular game shows to inspire and instruct his students, for which he was featured in the May 2000 issue of J-Communique.

Visitation for Snider's family and friends will be from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. Nov. 2 at Elm Ridge Funeral Home in Muncie. Another visitation will follow from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. Nov. 3 at St. Mary Catholic Church, also in Muncie.

Editor's note: If you have memories to share about Snider, please email news@bsudailynews.com.