More than half of Delaware County voters gave support to Trump

<p>Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump and his running mate Mike Pence won the presidential contest in Indiana. Indiana gave 11 electoral votes in the race. <em style="background-color: initial;">TNS</em></p>

Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump and his running mate Mike Pence won the presidential contest in Indiana. Indiana gave 11 electoral votes in the race. TNS

Delaware county voting results:

Presidential Election

Trump/Pence (Republican) : 24,217 (53.34 percent)

Clinton/Kaine (Democratic): 18,100 (39.87 percent)

Johnson/Weld (Libertarian): 2,382 (5.25 percent)

Write-in: 701 (1.54 percent)

Senate

Todd Young (Republican): 21,515 (48.04 percent)

Evan Bayh (Democratic): 20515 (45.81 percent)

Lucy Brenton (Libertarian): 1,645 (3.69 percent)

The long election season resulted in polarizing voting results for Ball State students and the surrounding community.

According to Delaware County polling results, there were around 91,000 registered voters in the county, 50.83 percent of those eligible to register.

Yet only around half of these registered voters came to make their voices heard in the Nov. 8 election, with around 45,400 people participating in voting in the presidential election. 

Of those votes, 24,217 voters in the county gave their support to the candidates on the Republican ticket, Donald Trump and Mike Pence. Some students said they felt unsurprised by these results, citing that Indiana is typically a Republican state.

“I felt like Trump was always going to win Indiana,” said Taylor Bell, a freshman psychology and English major.  “A lot of people feel the same way that he does. But yeah, I’m not surprised.”

Straight-party ticket votes were also highest for the Republican party, with 7,010 straight-party votes being cast at county polls. This compared to 6,318 straight-party votes for the Democrats and 30 straight party votes for the Libertarian party.

A further 18,100 voters demonstrated their support for the Democratic candidates, Hillary Clinton and Tim Kaine.

One of these voters was Patrick Gettings, a freshman undecided major.

“I like Hillary, I’m going to be honest, and I don’t like Donald Trump,” Gettings said.  “But there’s flaws, there’s just major flaws in both candidates and it’s just hard to pick whose side you’re on.”

For those whom couldn’t pick between the two major candidates, there was also the option of supporting the only third-party candidate to make the ballot in Indiana, Gary Johnson of the Libertarian Party.  The other third party candidate, Jill Stein of the Green Party, did not appear formally on the Indiana ballot.

“I’m really just wanting third parties to get a showing this year,” said Brendan Hendrickson, a junior accounting major.  “I think that we need more representation than just our two major parties.”

Some voters in Delaware County did show their support for third-party candidates, with Johnson receiving around 2,382 votes in the county and earning 5 percent of the total votes. The remaining 1 percent of votes (701 votes) were write-in votes.