Democratic candidates ask for help to get the word out

<p>(From left) Democratic politicians Christina Hale, John Gregg and Evan Bayh came to speak about issues in Indiana in front of Vera Mae's Bistro in downtown Muncie on Nov. 2. The candidates&nbsp;running for state and national offices spoke about Delaware County, the city of Muncie and Ball State students.&nbsp;<em>Patrick Calvert // DN&nbsp;</em></p>

(From left) Democratic politicians Christina Hale, John Gregg and Evan Bayh came to speak about issues in Indiana in front of Vera Mae's Bistro in downtown Muncie on Nov. 2. The candidates running for state and national offices spoke about Delaware County, the city of Muncie and Ball State students. Patrick Calvert // DN 

Democratic politicians running for state or national offices came by Muncie with a message for Delaware County, the City of Muncie and the students of Ball State.

Evan Bayh, John Gregg and Christina Hale all spoke about issues in the state in front of Vera Mae’s Bistro in downtown Muncie Nov. 2.

Bayh, a former governor of Indiana and democratic candidate for the U.S. senate, stressed how important this election was for the country.

“Once or twice in a generation, there is an election that defines not only what the issues are but what we are,” Bayh said.

He also touted the 21st-century scholarship program that he created while he was governor of Indiana. He said that the candidates on the democratic ticket would build on to the program.

The candidate for the U.S. senate believes electing the candidates on the democratic ticket would bring a “better kind of politics than what you see when you turn on your television."

Bayh also encouraged the crowd surrounding him to go and vote “because the folks who are sewing all of this division and anger. They’re are going to get out and vote.”

John Gregg, the candidate for governor, told the crowd that this election is about the economy, jobs that pay a living and education.

“I’m tired of [Indiana] being the Alabama of the north,” Gregg said.

The candidate said that drug addiction should be approached with rehabilitation instead of jail time, and he believes the drug dealers should be put in prison.

When asked about what he thinks about the presidential race, he answered by calling it a “circus” and that he is trying to stick to state issues.

He also told the crowd to go talk to independents and republicans and encourage them to go out and vote.

“There are so many good republicans in the state of Indiana that feel their party has left them," Gregg said.

Hale, Gregg’s running mate who is in Indiana’s House of Representatives, touted Gregg’s success in the past.

“This man was not born with a silver spoon in his mouth. For those of you who have shaken his hand, you have probably felt all of those calluses," she said.

Hale also encouraged the crowd to make phone calls and knock on doors for the democrat ticket in Indiana.

Muncie locals and Ball State students came out to see the candidates and hear what they had to say.

Aimee Fant, a Muncie resident who works at Little Red Door, said she appreciates the democratic ticket in Indiana for reaching out to her. One of the big issues in this election for Fant is disease.

“Being the leader of a cancer care agency right now, we really need to get a hold of the HPV epidemic [and] cervical cancer prevention," Fant said.

She also has an issue with public education in Indiana and said that it was "bleeding out."

Michael Santos, a junior political science major and intern with the Indiana Democratic Party, has been knocking on doors and calling people to try and get them out to vote. He came out to see Bayh.

“I’m a big supporter of Bayh because he introduced the 21st-century scholarship when he was governor," Santos said.

William Walker, a junior political science major who is running for school board in Muncie, came to support the democratic candidates.

“I’ve been supporting the candidates that support public schools and that happens to be all the candidates that are here today," Walker said.

He said that a big issue for him is education in the state.