DINNER FOR 2ISH: Small-scale Thanksgiving

Editor's Note: Emma Rogers and Tyson Bird are senior journalism majors who write "Dinner for 2ish" for the Daily News. Their views do not necessarily agree with those of the paper.

We started cooking together in the summer of 2015 and have planned and cooked a dinner every week since. Our recipes are often inspired by the New York Times’ cooking website but are adapted to fit Muncie availability and a college budget. We know not everyone will make it home for Thanksgiving — but that shouldn't stop you from cooking something nice. This Thanksgiving dinner can be made in a little more than an hour and has all of the classics (even turkey!). 

Small-scale Thanksgiving dinner

Includes roasted turkey breastcranberry-orange sauceBrussels sprouts and a potato.

Roasted turkey breast

Ingredients:

• 1 fresh turkey breast — we bought ours at Marsh, found by the fresh packaged chicken near the meat counter. Ours was 3.5 lbs and cost $12, but made enough turkey for four people.
  • Olive oil, salt and pepper

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. 
  2. Coat the breast on both sides with olive oil, salt and pepper. Be sure to massage the seasoning into the meat.
  3. Place the breast skin-side up into a foil-lined baking dish and place into the oven.
  4. As soon as you place the turkey in the oven, reduce the heat to 350 degrees. This will allow the skin to get crispy and brown, but the meat to stay juicy.
  5. Bake for one hour or until the thickest part of the meat reaches 165 degrees. Our 3.5 lb breast took closer to an hour and 15 minutes.
  6. Remove the turkey from the oven and cover with foil for 10-15 minutes before serving.

Cranberry-orange sauce

Make this while the turkey is roasting

Ingredients:

• 1 bag of fresh cranberries, rinsed
  • 1 orange, skin washed
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/2 cup orange juice (you may be able to get all of this from the orange — if not, use extra water)

Directions:

1. Bring the sugar, water and orange juice to a boil in a medium pan over high heat.
  2. While that's heating, use a cheese grater to zest some of the rind of the orange. You want to end up with about a teaspoon, but there's no need to be precise.
  3. Once the liquid is boiling, add the cranberries and stir until they have returned to a boil.
  4. Reduce the heat to low and stir occasionally for about 10 minutes. The cranberries will burst and the sauce will become thicker as it cooks.

Brussels sprouts

Begin cooking these about 30 minutes after placing the turkey in the oven. They can be in the oven at the same time and temperature as the meat.

Ingredients:

• 1 pound fresh Brussels sprouts, rinsed
  • Olive oil
  • Garlic powder, salt and pepper

Directions:

1. Cut stems off the sprouts, then cut them in half lengthwise. Some of the leaves will likely fall off, and that's OK.
  2. Heat enough olive oil to cover a large pan over medium-high heat until it shimmers. Place the sprouts face-down in the oil and cover with salt, pepper and garlic powder.

3. Allow the sprouts to cook for about 3 minutes, until they are slightly browned. Pour the whole works (oil too) onto a foil-covered baking sheet.

4. Place in the oven with the turkey (350 degrees) for 10-15 minutes, until soft.

Easiest potato ever

This is a baked potato made without the use of an oven. Make these while the turkey sits covered in foil, so it will be piping hot when you serve it.

Ingredients:

• A potato (or several)
  • Butter, sour cream and cheese for topping

Directions:

1. Wash the potato under cool running water. Use a fork to poke 5-8 holes all around it, to allow steam to escape while it cooks.
  2. Place the potato on a microwave-safe plate and cook on high for five minutes.
  3. Turn the potato over and cook for another five minutes.
  4. Remove carefully from the microwave and serve, cutting a slit down the middle to load with butter, sour cream and cheese.