Woman's swim and dive opens season at Indiana Intercollegiate

Kimmy Scott swims the 200 yard individual medley at the Red and White meet in the Lewellen Pool on Oct. 8, 2016.The red team won 117-105.  Kaiti Sullivan // DN
Kimmy Scott swims the 200 yard individual medley at the Red and White meet in the Lewellen Pool on Oct. 8, 2016.The red team won 117-105. Kaiti Sullivan // DN

Ball State women’s swim and dive kicked off its 2016-17 season Oct. 22 at Purdue in the Indiana Intercollegiate meet. Along with Purdue, the team faced six other Indiana state schools including DePauw, Evansville, Manchester, Rose-Hulman, Valparaiso and Indiana State.

Last season, Ball State placed second in the meet, behind Purdue. Returning from that squad are senior Jessica Extine and juniors Andra Richter, Amanda Kedzierski and Traci Muszalski, who all placed in the top five for their events in the Indiana Intercollegiate.

Joining them were a pair of talented freshmen. Anne Vormohr won the 100-yard backstroke and finished second in the 50-yard freestyle in the Red and White intrasquad scrimmage, and Sophie Bader won both the 200-yard individual medley and the 100-yard butterfly.

The team also returned three swimmers who placed in the MAC’s top 20 individual rankings last season: Kedzierski (100-yard breaststroke), Muszalski (200-yard butterfly) and senior Katie Horn (200-yard butterfly).

The Indiana Intercollegiate was held at noon Oct. 22 in the Boilermaker Aquatics Center at Purdue University.