THE ISSUE: Why LGBT rights matter in this election

THE ISSUE:

WHY IT MATTERS: LGBT

NEW YORK (AP) —Same-sex marriage is now the law of the land, but there are other battlegrounds related to civil rights and nondiscrimination protections for lesbians, gays, bisexuals and transgender people.

WHERE THEY STAND:

Hillary Clinton is a supporter of LGBT rights; she has endorsed the Equality Act, a proposed federal law that would provide comprehensive protections against discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity.

Donald Trump says he would be a better president for gays than Clinton, yet major LGBT-rights groups strongly oppose him. Among the reasons: He has balked at endorsing same-sex marriage, his evangelical advisory board has included prominent opponents of advances in LGBT rights and running mate Mike Pence, Indiana's governor, last year signed a law that critics said would allow businesses to deny service to gay people for religious reasons.

WHY IT MATTERS:

Whoever wins the presidency can only do so much to influence national LGBT-rights policies, unless the winner's party sweeps control of Congress. The proposed Equality Act is unlikely to advance through a Republican-controlled House, even if Clinton wins. And the nationwide legality of same-sex marriage is unlikely to be threatened, though some conservatives cling to hopes that a Supreme Court reconfigured by Trump appointees might reverse the 2015 ruling extending that right to all 50 states.

Student Reactions

Ariela McKenzie, senior exercise science major

"I think that she [Hillary Clinton] would be better," McKenzie said. "[Trump] seems to have a very hostile attitude towards people who aren't like him."

Tyler Brown, sophomore exercise science major

"I don't know, but I just really like Trump," Brown said. "I just really don't like Hillary so I'm kind of biased on issues of Trump."

Ashley Zhang, senior exercise science major

“I feel like if there’s jobs being created then we need to jump on that full force … the unemployment rate keeps going down and I think that’s a good thing,” Washington said.

Jack Formisani, freshman telecommunications major

"Trump is kind of a bigot," Formisani said. "Hillary, I feel, will say whatever things she thinks people want to hear ... I think they're both kind of jerks when it comes to gay marriage."