Public relations students plan national conference in Indianapolis

<p>The Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA) was held from Oct. 21 to 25 at the JW Marriott in downtown Indianapolis. The national conference brings together thousands of students from across the country that are on the path for careers in public relations and other communication areas.&nbsp;<i style="background-color: initial;">Grace Ramey // DN File</i></p>

The Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA) was held from Oct. 21 to 25 at the JW Marriott in downtown Indianapolis. The national conference brings together thousands of students from across the country that are on the path for careers in public relations and other communication areas. Grace Ramey // DN File

After nearly a year of planning, a group of public relations students put on a successful national conference. 

The Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA) is a national conference that brings together thousands of students across the country who are on the path for careers in public relations, as well as other communication areas. 

The conference was a five-day event held from Oct. 21 to 25 in downtown Indianapolis.

Throughout the conference, students are offered the opportunity to network, develop professional skills and see all that public relations has to offer.

Hannah Riffle and Katie Ronzio, both senior public relations majors, took on planning responsibilities with the national conference committee. To ensure the conference was a success, Riffle and Ronzio chose speakers for the event, secured sponsorships and recruited people to attend.

“Hearing attendees rave about their experiences at conference and how much they learned about the industry made it all worth it," Riffle said.

Some of the events this year included career tours with companies such as Eli Lilly and Company, Bandy Carroll Hellige and NCAA.

The conference also featured workshops on résumé critiques, a student-run firm workshop and a keynote address from Allison Melangton, the senior vice president of Hulman Motorsports Corporation.

Jillian Wilschke, a sophomore public relations major, was attending the conference for her first time.

“While we all came from so many different locations around the nation, it was so amazing to see us all come together with a common interest in public relations,” Wilschke said.

Although the conference is geared toward students in public relations, the conference still offers many opportunities for other students as well. 

Emily Brungard, a junior advertising major, participated in the conference for the second time this year. 

“The national conference was a rewarding experience, even as an advertising major," Brungard said. "Although conference is targeted toward public relations students, so much of what we do overlaps and is relevant to my interests.”

The next national conference will be in 2017 and will take place in Boston. Students aspiring to pursue public relations and related fields are encouraged to attend to get networking experience and a foot in the door. 

“Any student majoring in in public relations or interested in the field would benefit from the conference and should definitely consider attending," Wilschke said.