Local haunted house hosts students to act, scare guests

<p>Cornerstone Center for the Arts has a new haunted attraction known as&nbsp;Son of Scarvania. Ball State student workers dress as creepy creatures with masks and dramatic costumes to jump out and terrorize visitors in the attraction's 10,000-square foot maze.&nbsp;<em style="font-size: 14px;">Reagan Allen // DN File</em></p>

Cornerstone Center for the Arts has a new haunted attraction known as Son of Scarvania. Ball State student workers dress as creepy creatures with masks and dramatic costumes to jump out and terrorize visitors in the attraction's 10,000-square foot maze. Reagan Allen // DN File

Son of Scarevania is open Oct. 28 and 29 from 8 p.m. until 12 a.m.

Tickets cost $12 at the door, or attendees can by a $20 ticket that includes admission into both Scarevania and Son of Scarevania.

If you have gotten the chance to visit Cornerstone Center for the Arts’ newest haunted attraction, Son of Scarevania, you have probably experienced some of the spine-chilling characters that wait around every corner, ready to jump out and terrorize you. 

However, what you may not know is that many of these creepy creatures are Ball State students, hiding behind horrifying masks and dramatic costumes.

Throughout the time that Son of Scarevania has been open this season, there have been more than 30 Ball State students who have come to volunteer as actors and actresses at the haunted house.

There are many different roles that must be filled each night at Son of Scarevania in order for visitors to get the full, frightening experience of the haunt. Some of these characters include a crazy dentist and a scared patient, a butcher, a demented nun, a pigman and even an insane Santa Claus.

Students are not automatically handed a role once they arrive at Son of Scarevania. In fact, students can usually choose what character they want to play for the night.

“Actors typically are able to choose who they want to play unless someone else has already claimed that character,” said Jessie Irwin, education and marketing coordinator at Cornerstone Center for the Arts. “They're encouraged to really make the character their own and develop their best scare tactics.”

Many students have been volunteering at Son of Scarevania in order to fulfill service hour requirements for various students organizations. 

Janell Barker, a junior speech pathology major, volunteered with her sorority, Alpha Omicron Pi.

“There was a huge group of high school guys going through, and they were totally distracted,” Barker said.

While volunteering at Son of Scarevania, Barker played “The Crawler,” a character who is insane and creeps along the floor, waiting to jump out at unsuspecting visitors. 

“They saw me and screamed. Scaring a big group of guys [was fun] because they were acting like they were big and bad,” Barker said.

However, other Ball State students have been spending their nights at Son of Scarevania simply to improve their acting skills. Various theatre students have been volunteering their time at the attraction to get more experience.

“What’s really fun about this is that you just kind of get to do whatever you want. It’s all improvised,” said Rachael Neinast, a sophomore theatrical studies major. 

Neinast has volunteered multiple times at Son of Scarevania this month, playing the role of a patient in an insane asylum.

“There’s definitely a lot of thinking on your feet,” Neinast said. “Improv [acting] is something that I struggle with, but I feel that this has helped me to be more confident.”

Son of Scarevania will be open for its final weekend on Oct. 28 and 29. If you would like to visit the haunt and get some frights from fellow students, or possibly even volunteer your own time as a character in the haunt, make sure you visit this weekend before it is closed for the season.