Ball State women's volleyball beats Eastern Michigan 3-2

Junior outside hitter Sabrina Mangapora huddles up with her fellow teammates at the game against IUPUI on Aug. 31 at John E. Worthen Arena. Kyle Crawford // DN

Game statistics

Ball State errors in winning sets: 9

Ball State errors in losing sets: 22

Ball State attack percentage: .178

Eastern Michigan attack percentage: .166

Winless through its first nine non-conference games, Ball State's women's volleyball (6-10, 2-0 MAC) is undefeated after two Mid-American Conference games.

The Cardinals beat Eastern Michigan 3-2 (25-20, 14-25, 25-15, 20-25, 15-11) Sept. 24, snapping a three-match losing streak to the Eagles. Head coach Kelli Miller said her players "stepped up at the right time," but there's still work to be done.

“The big thing we’ll take away from the weekend is that when we’re giving up big amounts of points, we have to work to get out of that faster," she said.

Ball State alternated sets, winning the first, third and fifth but dropping the second and fourth. In the three sets the Cardinals won, they totaled 9 errors.

In the two sets they lost, the Cardinals racked up 22 errors.

“Our consistency is one thing we’re going to have to work a little bit harder at,” Miller said. “We had our moments of consistency tonight, but we’re going to have to be more consistent especially competing in the MAC when games get a lot tougher.”

Freshman right side Brooklyn Goodsel, the MAC West Division Offensive Player of the Week, recorded her second consecutive double-double with 15 kills and 10 digs.

As a whole Ball State finished with a .178 attack percentage. Freshman middle hitter Sydnee VanBeek led the team with a .412 attack percentage behind a career-best nine kills. Junior outside hitter Sabrina Mangapora tied Goodsel for the team lead with 15 kills.

Freshman setter Amber Seaman was consistent on offense, finishing with six kills and a team-best .500 attack percentage. She also had 41 of the Cardinals' 52 assists and 9 digs.

“We were in control the whole match and that’s exactly what we wanted,” Miller said. “Overall, we played well. We were passing well and our defense played really well.”

The Cardinals continue MAC play Sept. 29 with a home match against Toledo at 7 p.m.