Women's volleyball wins MAC West Player of the Week awards

Ball State's women's volleyball team huddle up at the start of game against IUPUI on Aug. 31 at John E. Worthen Arena. Kyle Crawford // DN

Ball State women’s volleyball took home both Mid-American Conference West Offensive and Defensive player of the Week awards.

Sophomore outside hitter Brooklyn Goodsel was named Offensive Player of the Week and freshman libero Kate Avila was named Defensive Player of the Week.

Both players put up team-leading numbers in the Active Ankle Challenge tournament Ball State held Sept. 16 and 17. Goodsel and Avila were both named to the Active Ankle Challenge All-Tournament Team after helping the Cardinals win two of the three matches.

Goodsel led the Cardinals in kills, tying her career high of 17 in the team's win over UNCG Sept. 16. Goodsel also added 14 digs giving her a double-double — her second of the season. She recorded a .308 attack percentage and averaged 3.58 kills and 1.92 digs per set in last weekend's tournament. Goodsel also led the team with 10 kills in 0-3 loss against No. 19 Ohio State.

Goodsel said that while her team lost, playing Ohio State was a good learning experience.

“We just want to keep getting better and playing better people, so if that means were learning on a loss, I mean we don’t want to lose, but if we're learning and we're getting better, that’s what we want,” Goodsel said.

In the Cardinals’ three matches in the tournament, Avila averaged 5.17 digs per set and a .966 reception percentage. Avila tallied 32 digs in Ball State's win over Valparaiso Saturday night. She is one of two players in the MAC to record multiple matches with 30 or more digs in a match this season.

The Cardinals begin MAC play at 7 p.m. Sept. 23 when they host Central Michigan.