Ball State field hockey hits season high four-game losing streak

Senior forward Morgan Nash tries to pass the ball to a teammate late in the second half against Ohio State on Oct. 3 at Briner Sports Complex.  Nash has played in nine games in the season.  DN // Patrick Murphy
Senior forward Morgan Nash tries to pass the ball to a teammate late in the second half against Ohio State on Oct. 3 at Briner Sports Complex. Nash has played in nine games in the season. DN // Patrick Murphy

Losses on this losing streak:

Sept. 17: 0-7 vs. #4 Penn State

Sept. 18: 1-4 vs. #16 Iowa

Sept. 23: 1-2 vs. Kent State (MAC game)

Sept. 25: 2-3 (OT) vs. Ohio

After a 3-0 start to the season and getting off to their best start in two years, Ball State field hockey (4-6, 0-2 MAC) has lost four straight games and six of their last seven.

The team has suffered numerous close losses as well as a few bigger ones, including a 4-1 loss to Iowa, which ranked 18th in the RPI, and a 7-0 loss to No. 4 Penn State. First-year coach Christy Longacre said the team has to take the losses as a chance to get better.

“It was all about learning and taking positives,” she said. “Like just keep playing, not giving up and fighting as a team for the full 70 minutes.”

Senior midfielder Morgan Nash also said the team has to take big losses as a learning experience.

“We know what we need to work on,” she said. “Take what you can from it, watch film, learn and move on to the next game.”

This four-game streak is the longest since last year when the team finished on a four-game losing streak. The longest the team went last year without a win was six games, which they did twice that season.

They’ll look to snap the streak on Oct. 2 against Michigan State (5-14; 2-6 Big Ten) in East Lansing, Michigan.