Students weigh in on open carry on college campuses

More than a week after a man carrying a gun shut down Ball State for an hour and a half, the discussion about open carry on college campuses continues.

Currently, there are 18 states that ban carrying a concealed weapon on a college campus, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures. In 23 states, including Indiana, the decision to ban or allow concealed carry weapons on campuses is made by each college or university individually.

The Daily News spoke to Ball State students to hear their perspectives on the topic.

Jake Ingram, sophomore marketing major

"I think that most people who are practicing open carry are just practicing their second amendment, and they don't have any malicious intentions," Ingram said. "I don't think it's a good idea just because it does incite all that panic on campus."

Paige Haffner, first year speech language pathology grad

"I don't think it's necessary," Haffner said. "I think a lot of times that the more guns that are in the equation, the more likely it is for someone to get shot and killed."

Cobie Fritsch, freshman actuarial science major

"It freaks a lot of people out," Fritsch said. "I think that there's enough protection as it is ... people carry it for protection, and I don't feel that they need more than they have."

Bridget Cronin, sophomore nursing major

"I would say that we shouldn't have it," Cronin said. "It's not very safe for the students, because you never know who's gonna be carrying them, and you don't know if they have a license or not."

Aaron Hutchinson, senior finance major

"As long as you're a responsible gun owner, it really shouldn't be a problem," Hutchinson said. "Maybe [don't] allow it in the residence halls, but if you're just out and about, I don't see why that would be any different than when you're anywhere else in public."

Bailey Hayne, sophomore hospitality and food management major

"I feel like it shouldn't be allowed," Hayne said. "Alcohol is so predominant on campuses that things could just go bad really fast."

SaMaya Mobley, junior accounting major

"Where I grew up, there was a lot of violence," Mobley said. "I don't think [it] should be a thing."

Joe Overton, freshman computer science major

"I don't think it's a necessary precaution on a college campus," Overtown said. "I think being allowed to bring mace with you would be plenty protection."

Bryce Akridge, sophomore exercise major

"You never know what could happen," Akridge said. "If you see someone with a gun, you're gonna fear for your safety ... You don't want anything bad to happen."

Kristen Turner, freshman business marketing major

"I don't trust people," Turner said. "If you have a gun, I'm gonna assume ... I don't want to see a gun on my way to class."