7 fall activities to do with friends, family

The University Program Board hosted Fall Fest at LaFollette field on Sept. 22. The event had caramel apples, mini pies and chili along with ceramic pumpkins to paint and dreamcatcher kits for students to make. Reagan Allen // DN

Sept. 22 marked the first day of fall, and with a new season comes different activities, colors and novelty foods. There are many things to do during the fall that are not just about Halloween — here's seven ideas for things to do in the Muncie area or at home this fall.

Go camping

Fall may be the best time to go camping — it's not too hot or too cold. It's a great time to sit by the fire, enjoy some hot apple cider and roast some s’mores with friends. Big Oak Park in Muncie is one place you can go, but there are many parks and campgrounds around east central Indiana if you'd like to travel somewhere new. 

Bonfire cookouts

The chill fall brings makes it the perfect season for bonfires, so grab some s'mores supplies, hot dogs or whatever else you'd like to try cooking over a fire and enjoy a night outside. 

Play football in Lafollette Field

It is that time of year again: football season! You don't have to be on a team to take part, so why not gather up some friends and head out to Lafollette Field for a game of flag or touch football?

Pumpkin patches and apple orchards

Another classic thing to do in the fall is to visit a pumpkin patch or apple orchard. Tuttle Orchards in Greenville has a ton of fun stuff to do for the season. They have hayrides, corn mazes, a pumpkin patch and an apple-picking area. They serve fall favorites like caramel apples and cider. The apple picking is open through October and the pumpkin patch opens Sept. 23. 

Other pumpkin patches to try are Mazed & Cornfused at 7351 S Old Road 67 and Jacobs' Family Orchard in New Castle. 

Make fall treats

Everyone loves food. So this season spend time making some of your favorites! Now's the time to try all those recipes you've pinned on Pinterest — caramel apples, homemade caramel corn and all things pumpkin. 

Tailgate

Charlie Cardinal hosts tailgates before every home game. The tailgating starts three to four hours before kickoff at home football games. Before you go, check out some do's and don'ts of tailgating.

Haunted houses

Most haunted houses open up the final weekend of September. Indy Scream Park is located 30 minutes away in Anderson, Indiana and opens Sept. 23. Find more haunted houses in the area on the Indiana Haunted Houses website.