'Sound of Music' actress dies at 73

<p>Actress Charmian Carr died Monday at age 73. <em>Wikipedia.org // Photo Courtesy&nbsp;</em></p>

Actress Charmian Carr died Monday at age 73. Wikipedia.org // Photo Courtesy 

Actress Charmian Carr died on Sept. 17 at age 73. Her passing is a result of complications from a rare form of dementia, according to her spokesman Harlan Boll.

Carr is most known for her portrayal of Liesl von Trapp in “The Sound of Music,” and her performance of the song “Sixteen Going on Seventeen” for the film.

Rachel Shockney, a freshman accounting major, said Carr’s death came as a surprise. 

A fan of “Sound of Music,” she was also in a performance of the show as Marta in sixth grade. The experience made her appreciate even more the actors and actresses involved in the beginning, she said.

“I grew up watching the movie and loved everything about it,” Shockney said. “I was familiar with many of the classic musicals, but ‘The Sound of Music’ was by far one of the best and my personal favorite. The songs she led in the movie were powerful and exciting. Carr's death has reminded me of her great voice and talent, and I know many will miss her.”

After “Sound of Music,” Carr only had one other major role, when she starred in “Evening Primrose” with Anthony Perkins.

She then left the business and became an interior designer in southern California. Some of her clients included Michael Jackson and Ernest Lehman, screenwriter for "Sound of Music."

Carr wrote two books about the "Sound of Music" experience, “Forever Liesl” and “Letters to Liesl.” She also frequently appeared at events commemorating the movie.

Many who were involved in the film with expressed their condolences on social media, including 20th Century Fox.

“The Sound of Music lost a beloved member of the family w/ the passing of Charmian Carr. She will be forever missed," the studio tweeted.

Carr was born in 1942 in Chicago. Both of her parents were involved in the performing arts — her mother was a vaudeville actress and her father was a musician and orchestra conductor.

She is survived by four siblings, two children and four grandchildren. She is also survived by the other six actors who portrayed the von Trapp children.