Cross country fights off illness heading into home meet

Third time's the charm?

BALL STATE VS IUPUI

BUTLER OPEN:

Place, Average Time

IUPUI: 2nd, 19:24

Ball State: 3rd, 19:26

INDIANA INTERCOLLEGIATE CHAMPIONSHIPS:

IUPUI: 4th, 19:30

Ball State: 5th, 19:45

Ball State cross country hosts its first meet in nearly two years Sept. 23, but the biggest home-field advantage might be the proximity to the Health Center.

Distance coach Raynee DeGrio is hoping she has a healthy team to put on the starting line.

“We’ve had a couple kids under the weather,” she said. “We’re being a little more cautious this time of year.”

The bug has even affected the team’s best runner, freshman Hannah Cummings. She didn’t run in last weekend’s meet, and DeGrio says they are focusing on the bigger picture to determine when to bring her back.

“We don’t really feel the need to push anything or risk getting more sick than we are now. We’re trying to get everyone healthy so that we’re ready to go in five weeks.”

As for this weekend’s meet, the Cardinals are hosting a familiar foe in Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis. This is the third time in three meets that Ball State and IUPUI will square off. The Jaguars have edged out the Cardinals both times so far, but DeGrio is hoping this time will be different.

“I think there’s just a little more pride on the line for us,” DeGrio said. “We don’t want someone to come on our home course and beat us. We’re hoping to get a win over them.” 

Freshman Lauren Whitehouse is setting a personal goal that could help her team claim a victory.

“I’m really trying to go under 19:30,” Whitehouse said. “I’ve been really close, but I haven’t gotten there yet. I’m hoping my teammates can pull me along.” 

Sept. 23’s meet is at the Elks Country Club (909 N CR 500 W) at 3 p.m.