Fontaine, Calhoun to play professionally in Europe

<p>Kellen Hazelip // DN</p>

Kellen Hazelip // DN

Last season’s leading rebounders of the Cardinals’ men’s and women’s basketball teams have signed contracts to play professionally in Europe. 

Nathalie Fontaine

Nathalie Fontaine set the women’s team career-scoring record last season with 2,166 points and will start her professional career with TSV 1880 Wassenburg in Munich, Germany.

The 6-foot-2-inch Swede was the 2016 Mid-American Conference Player of the Year after scoring 20.6 points per game and hauling in 10.2 rebounds per game.

Her 660 points last season set a Ball State single-season record. She also set school records for points scored in a game (43, vs. Evansville, 12/21/15), games started in a career (130) and free throws made in a career (541).

Fontaine was also named first-team All-MAC three times in her career as she helped lead the Cardinals to four consecutive postseason tournaments for the first time in program history.

Bo Calhoun

Bo Calhoun will represent the men’s program in Luxembourg after singing with BBC Arantia Larochette.

Last season, he averaged 10.7 points per game and 8.5 rebounds per game. He scored 772 points in his career and blossomed into a key member of the team after playing less than 10 minutes per game in his first two seasons.

The 6-foot-6-inch forward helped guide the Cardinals to a share of the MAC West division title and the program’s first postseason appearance since 2001.

Kellen Hazelip and Grace Ramey // DN FILE