Movies to catch this June

As the summer movie season begins, filmmakers are looking to break box office records and fill theater seats. Here’s a list of all the nationwide releases this June.

Released June 3

“Me Before You”

Based on the New York Times best-selling book by JoJo Moyes, “Me Before You” follows a young quirky girl, Louise, who is employed by a wealthy family to look after their disabled son, 30-year-old Will Traynor, who — once an adventure seeker — was in a motor accident two years earlier. Will is now cynical and doesn’t find life worth living, but Louise makes it her mission to prove him wrong. The movie stars Emelia Clarke, known from “Game of Thrones,” and Sam Caflin, who appeared in the “Hunger Games” series.

“Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows”

A sequel to the 2014 film, this “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles” installment follows the turtles as they try to defeat Shredder, who has developed mutants of his own, and face the extraterrestrial Krang as he threatens to invade New York City. Megan Fox and Will Arnett are featured in this movie.

“Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping”

A movie from The Lonely Island and Judd Apatow, Popstar follows Connor4Real, a singer and rapper. When Connor’s second album is a bust, he and the world are baffled and don’t know what to do when he isn’t No. 1. This movie stars Andy Samberg as Connor as well as Sarah Silverman, both known for their appearances on Saturday Night Live. There are also several cameos by well-known celebrities such as 50 Cent and Carrie Underwood.

To release June 10

“WarCraft”

Based on the popular video game “World of Warcraft,” this film is set in normally peaceful Azeroth. But as invaders push the civilization to the brink of war, a portal opens that connects two worlds. One side faces extinction, the other destruction. This film stars Travis Fimmel, Paula Patton, Ben Foster and Dominic Cooper.

“Now You See Me 2”

A sequel to the 2013 movie, “Now You See Me 2” follows illusionists as they flee a stage show for China. There, they meet a tech guru who makes them steal a chip he will use to control all the world’s computers. This movie stars Daniel Radcliffe, Jesse Eisenberg, Woody Harrelson, Mark Ruffalo and Morgan Freeman.

“The Conjuring 2: The Endfield Experiment”

Serving as a sequel to “The Conjuring,” this film is set in 1977. Paranormal investigators Ed and Lorraine Warren travel to England to help a single mother of four who think something evil is taking over her home. Soon after the Warrens see signs of demonic possession in the woman’s youngest daughter, they become the targets.

To release June 17

“Finding Dory”

This is the much anticipated sequel to “Finding Nemo,” in which Dory sets out to find her family. She’s assisted by Marlin and Nemo on this quest to learn about her past and to remember where she’s from. This film stars Ellen DeGeneres as Dory, as well as Albert Brooks, Ty Burrell, Diane Keaton, Ed O’Neill and Eugene Levy.

“Central Intelligence”

A once bullied CIA agent, Bob Stone, returns to his high school reunion and runs into an accountant, Calvin Joyner, who misses his “glory days” as an athlete and cool kid. Bob needs Calvin’s math knowledge to help him save a U.S. satellite system that’s been compromised. This action comedy features co-stars Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson and Kevin Hart.

To release June 24

“Independence Day: Resurgence”

A sequel to the original 1996 movie, “Resurgence” follows up with the nations on Earth using extraterrestrial technology to put together a defense program. When the aliens attack again, it is much stronger than last time and much greater than anyone on Earth expected. This sequel stars Jeff Goldblum from the original film as well as Liam Hemsworth.

“Free State of Jones”

During the Civil War, a Mississippi farmer rebels against the Confederacy and joins forces with other local farmers and slaves to lead an uprising and help Jones and Mississippi secede from the Confederacy. This true story stars Matthew McConaughey, Keri Russell, Mahershala Ali and Gugu Mbatha-Raw.

To release June 29

“The Shallows”

“The Shallows” is a drama thriller that follows a young surfer who is stranded on a rock 200 feet from shore in shark infested waters. Blake Lively and Oscar Jaenada star in this movie about survival.