Five books to add to your summer reading list

<p>Every Monday at 10:30 a.m., Maring-Hunt Library hosts German Storytime, an event created by Melanie Hanser, who has taken a long journey to learn and teach the language.&nbsp;<em style="background-color: initial;">DN FILE PHOTO SAMANTHA BRAMMER</em></p>

Every Monday at 10:30 a.m., Maring-Hunt Library hosts German Storytime, an event created by Melanie Hanser, who has taken a long journey to learn and teach the language. DN FILE PHOTO SAMANTHA BRAMMER

Without having a ton of class readings to complete, summer is the perfect time to do some just-for-fun reading. Satisfy your book cravings by adding these new and upcoming releases to your summer reading list. 

"Eligible: A modern retelling of Pride and Prejudice"

By Curtis Sittenfeld

Released on April 19

As the title suggests, "Eligible" is a modern update to the Jane Austen classic. Since its release in mid April, the novel has made its way onto the New York Times bestsellers list, earning praise. The novel follows Liz, a magazine writer in New York who returns to her childhood home in Ohio after her father has a health scare. According to the list, "wonderfully tender and hilariously funny, 'Eligible' both honors and updates Jane Austen’s 'Pride and Prejudice.' Tackling gender, class, courtship and family, Curtis Sittenfeld reaffirms herself as one of the most dazzling authors writing today.”

"Highly Illogical Behavior"

By John Core Whaley

Released on May 10

This young adult novel follows Solomon, a 16-year-old anxiety-ridden guy who hasn’t left his house in three years. That is until Lisa, a former classmate, inserts herself in his life, determined to “fix” him, solely to prove she belongs in one of the top psychology programs for college. But she may do more harm than good.

"Sweetbitter"

By Stephanie Danler

Will release on May 24

Sweetbitter is a coming-of-age story about a young waitress who has recently moved to New York. Danler also moved to New York when she was 22 years old and worked at restaurants until her book got picked up by Penguin Random House. The New York Times called the book “both a coming-of-age and coming-to-New York story, and a novel about the seductive pleasures of food and wine. The story unfolds inside the glamorous, cutthroat and sometimes seedy world of elite Manhattan restaurants.”

"A Hero of France"

By Alan Furst

Will release on June 14

Set in Nazi-occupied France in 1941, "A Hero of France" follows a French Resistance leader as he helps downed British airmen escape back to England and the rest of the resistance fight against the German military police who are determined to destroy them. Furst has already received praise for the novel. The Wall Street Journal said “no espionage author, it seems, is better at summoning the shifting moods and emotional atmosphere of Europe before the start of World War II than Alan Furst.”

"Enter Title Here"

By Rahul Kanakia

Will release on August 2

"Enter Title Here" is a book within a book, following high school senior Reshma Kapoor. Reshma’s dream is to get into Stanford, and when a literary agent spots an article she wrote for Huffington Post, she knows the book deal is her ticket in. The only problem is, Reshma spends all her time studying, so she embarks on a mission to live like a "normal teenager" to make her book more exciting.