Walk the Moon band member, alumnus to visit campus

<p><em>PHOTO COURTESY OF RCA RECORDS</em></p>

PHOTO COURTESY OF RCA RECORDS

What: Kevin Ray having a Q&A session

When: April 20th from 3:30-5:00pm

Where: Letterman Building room 125

Kevin Ray, the bass player for the band Walk the Moon, known for its hit song "Shut Up and Dance," will be having a Q&A session at Ball State on April 20 from 3:30 p.m. to 5 p.m. in the Letterman Building room 125.

Ray graduated in 2009 from Ball State’s music media production program (MMP) in the School of Music.

Being on the front lines of the entertainment business, he can tell students how he maintains his lifestyle of being on tour 24/7.

“If you’re giving a hundred or two hundred shows a year, it’s a grueling pace. You’ve got to maintain your health and eat right and sleep right. It’s not just party, party, party,” said Robert Willey, director of the MMP program.

Willey is organizing Ray’s visit to campus.

At Ball State, Ray took a multitude of classes in the School of Music, such as computer music, music perception and recording technique classes.

“I was kind of surprised to see that he took the computer music classes. A lot of the audio production students don’t get that deep into electronic music. That shows that he’s got some different kind of skills to make new kinds of sounds,” Willey said.

Ray is looking forward to talking to students about the different aspects of the music industry, such as recording and publishing, Willey said.

Amanda Case, a freshman at Ball State, has listened to Walk the Moon even before their hit single “Shut Up and Dance” came on the radio. She is very excited that he is coming and hopes to get an autograph.

“I expect for him to talk about his college experience and how that impacted him in his career,” Case said.

Jasmine Ramos, a freshman majoring in elementary education, thinks it would be interesting to get to know how Walk the Moon started up and how Ball State helped him.

“I think it’ll be nice for students to get the chance to talk to him and ask him questions, especially since they made it big. I think it’s cool whenever someone who graduated from here and has been successful is able to come back and give advice to students,” Ramos said.

The event is free, but those attending are advised to get there early because seating will be limited.