‘Snow White with the Red Hair’ Season 2 is more suspenseful than sweet

In the realm of anime, there are many series that focus on nothing but romance. Some examples of this would be Ouran High School Host Club, School Rumble, and Vampire Knight. There are very few series out there that incorporate both adventure and romance into the show, and Snow White with the Red Hair does just that. However, the second season focuses more on suspense than the romance that fans of the show have been aching for between the two lead characters.

A Horrendous Pause to the Romance

Snow White with the Red Hair focuses on Shirayuki, a young woman with hair as red as an apple. She is working on being a court herbalist in the kingdom where Prince Zen, the handsome love interest, resides. The first season focuses primarily on Shirayuki’s time with Zen after leaving her hometown to escape the wrath of Raj, a selfish prince who wants Shirayuki as his concubine because of her beautiful hair.

Throughout that arc, she develops friendships, completes an apprenticeship, and is saved time and time again from kidnappers by none other than Zen himself. However, the second season quickly jumps from a blossoming romance to the news of a mysterious person seeking Shirayuki.

For her red hair? For her ties to Zen? Nobody knows.

Things also take a quick turn as Shirayuki learns that she has been invited to attend a ball in Tanbarun, where none other than the stupid prince Raj will be. Of course, this left many fans upset and frustrated by the fact that Zen and Shirayuki would be separated for a while, bringing a long pause to the romance fans want.

The second season focuses more on a potential friendship between Shirayuki and Raj, leaving the romance out of this arc for the most part. But as the season progresses, viewers’ perception of him changes as Shirayuki, being the friendly sweetheart she is, starts a friendship with the man who attempted to poison her.

Personally, I feel that the second season had a lot of suspense within it to captivate the audience, but it left everyone hanging as to whether or not Zen would finally propose to Shirayuki. There wasn’t enough romance in this arc to remind viewers that the love still exists. And the way this season ends also leaves a bad taste, since we are still left with too many general questions of when and why.

A Double Kidnapping

Of course, a couple of hours before the important ball, Shirayuki gets kidnapped, once again. And it’s none other than by the mysterious person who has been looking for her. Out of all the times he could drop in to say hello, Zen decides to leave his kingdom to visit Shirayuki the same day she is kidnapped. The rest of the season focuses on Shirayuki being kidnapped not once, but twice, all in one single episode.

Overall, this season is easy to follow along with. Shirayuki’s connections with all the characters are all the same, with the only exception being Zen. Her bond with him is obviously more prominent and stronger. But for some, the sweet, yet monotonous personality of the protagonist may be boring. And if romance, political affairs, pirates, and discussion about plants also bores you, then don’t waste your time with the show. Even though this season doesn’t focus as much on Shirayuki and Zen’s relationship, it is still suspenseful to watch and leaves the audience hanging at the end of each episode, wondering as to whether or not Shirayuki will be rescued by her prince. However, if you’re one of those people who knows how fairytale romances go, then you have a guess as to how everything falls into place.

Do the Characters Care?

As I mentioned earlier, the story of Snow White with the Red Hair is very easy to follow. You don’t need any prior knowledge about politics or plants, and the characters within the show stand out. They each have enough backstory for fans to develop at least some appreciation for them. However, with the amount of times Shirayuki has been kidnapped during the show, it can make people wonder just how much the lead cast—Zen, Obi, Mitsuhide, Kiki, Raj—really cares about Shirayuki’s personal well-being.

Like every stereotypical romance story, the people who are closest to her care about her safety, and respect her love for everyone, despite how they’ve wronged her. The characters also do quite a bit when it comes to rescuing Shirayuki. Just in this season alone, you have characters risking so much just to save her. From sneaking onto a ship, facing possible death, to becoming the true definition of a prince and being a hero, each character goes to the limit to help the protagonist.

TL;DR

Snow White with the Red Hair is an adorable series that any fan of romance and royalty will love. Every episode leaves you wanting to know what happens next. Even though the second season takes away from the romantic aspect quite a bit, it still keeps the audience engaged. The last episode of the series will also leave you wondering whether or not there will be a third season, or if the show will end with an uncompleted romance.

There are not many romance series that focus on action and character development as well as romance in equal amounts. Snow White with the Red Hair does a great job with that. The animation is gorgeous, the characters are fun, and the protagonist is a strong, yet innocent female lead that wants what’s best for her friends. What’s not to love about a show that’s so cute?

+Interesting, engaging plot

+Great character development

+Shirayuki and Zen’s relationship

+Gorgeous animation

-Not much focus on romance in second season

-Typical anime stereotypes

-Not a memorable season finale

Featured image from Funimation