'Ratchet and Clank': Retrospective

This is an exciting year for Ratchet and Clank fans. In a two-week span, we’re getting a new game that reimagines the original and a theatrical release of the feature film based on the series. Our Lombax and robot combo have grown a lot since they first appeared on the PS2 in 2002, receiving critical acclaim with basically every main console title that released.

But what sets this franchise apart from all of the other expansive series that came out on the PS2? What makes it so worth a feature-length film, especially since the last game in the main series released seven years ago?

The Story 

Photo Credit: Game FAQs

Ratchet and Clank has been blessed with a story that is as deep and rewarding as it is humorous. Each game bleeds humor, from foil characters like Qwark to the absolutely hilarious villains. If you play any Ratchet and Clank game, you will find yourself laughing at several points.

Despite being extremely humorous, the lore in the Ratchet and Clank series is actually very rich. Unfortunately, we really don’t see that until the games on the PS3 released. Ratchet and Clank, Going Commando, and Up Your Arsenal mostly had stories that were fairly self-contained. The games had connections to each other, but for the most part they were pretty small and not important. These stories were by no means bad, but they are nowhere near as good as the games in the Future set of games.

Photo Credit: Polygon

When Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction dropped on the PS3, everything changed for the game’s narrative. The scope and excitement of the stories blew up in a great way, and we got to explore both Ratchet and Clank’s backstories.

The main games in the Future storyline are Tools of Destruction and A Crack in Time. Those two are by far the largest in terms of story, but they don’t even cover all of the story. While it probably was done intentionally, two smaller entries had to release to help conclude certain plot points.

Quest for Booty released between Tools of Destruction and A Crack in Time to tie the major plot elements of the two games together and tie up some loose ends from Tools of Destruction. Into the Nexus released after A Crack in Time to help wrap up the Future storyline.

These two games were fun, and it was nice to have the stories be more coherent, but it was somewhat unfortunate that players had to shell out 30 bucks per game just to get the complete story. Perhaps it would have been more worthwhile at a lower price, especially since the games only costed half as much and you got maybe three to four hours of content.

Photo Credit: A2Z

Not every game in the Ratchet and Clank series had a worthwhile plot, though. The two games on the PSP, Size Matters and Secret Agent Clank were pretty lackluster compared to their main console entries. They were by no means bad, but they weren’t anything to write home about either.

The co-op games, All 4 One and Full Frontal Assault, were also somewhat lacking in terms of story. Again, fun to play, but not the Ratchet and Clank we all knew and loved.

Run N' Gun

Photo Credit: NeoGAF

I was going to write up a section about the gameplay from Ratchet and Clank, but the best way to summarize it is with one word: Guns. The guns in this series are fantastic. From over-the-top mini nuke launchers to lasers that turn enemies into chickens/sheep/snowmen, you will never find yourself bored.

While the actual combat and platforming mechanics of Ratchet and Clank really don’t change much, the gun gameplay manages to reinvent itself constantly. In the first game, we just saw big, crazy guns. They were fun, but much like the story, they didn’t get better until Going Commando.

Photo Credit: Phoenix Genesis

In Going Commando, the arsenal of guns went from 15 to 24. Each of these guns could be leveled up to add new and crazy effects, like damage over time or the addition of extra projectiles. All you had to do to get them stronger was use them all the time and they leveled up automatically. It was a fun mechanic that incentivized players to use all of the guns in as many ways as possible.

The gameplay received a massive overhaul with the release of the Future games on the PS3. Guns still leveled up and gain powers, but players could use Raritanium crystals to further level up their guns and add even more effects. Insomniac took the original incentive to use all the guns and added a strategy element: select which skills you think would be best for encounters. It was possible to get all the skills on every gun, but doing that wasn’t necessary.

Outside of the gun system, the general gameplay in this series is smooth and tight. For the most part, Ratchet and Clank both control very well. The platforming is fun and the worlds encourage players use the various platforming tools, like the Swingshot or Clank’s various hover/flight tools, to explore every possible inch.

Each game also adds a new element that makes playing it very special. Tools of Destruction created a set of wings Clank could use to fly around certain worlds, and A Crack in Time gave players the ability to control time in certain levels. It was always fun.

The gameplay was radically changed in All 4 One and Full Frontal Assault. These games focused more on the party aspect of playing, giving everyone the opportunity to use the same guns and play together. It was a fun time, but not the Ratchet and Clank experience people were used to.

The other outlier to the series was Ratchet: Deadlocked. In this game, there was no exploration. It was just round after round of arena/gladiator battles. As with the other games outside the main series, it was a fun time, but not the experience people were used to and wanted.

Best Three Games 

It’s really, really difficult to pick the best three games from this franchise. With the exception of maybe three games, all 12 games in the series are beyond amazing and worth a play. Though if there had to be three, I would pick the following:

Ratchet and Clank: Going Commando

Photo Credit: Insomniac Games

I would argue that Going Commando is the best of the games on the PS2, though it’s really hard to argue against Up Your Arsenal for that spot. The game was much bigger than the first and had the largest arsenal of weapons. Some might argue that the original game would be good if you’re new to the franchies, but I honestly feel that Going Commando is the perfect game to get people into the series.

Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction

Photo Credit: Insomniac Games

Tools of Destruction is a fantastic experience. While the previous games were a lot of fun to play, this game was what got players emotionally invested in Ratchet and Clank. The gameplay was a vast improvement over the previous entries, with the more detailed leveling system and the larger worlds to explore. Plus it was the first game in one of my favorite video game narratives of all time.

Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crack in Time

Photo Credit: Insomniac Games

A Crack in Time is the penultimate game in the Future storyline, but it’s pretty obviously the end of that particular story. It’s an emotional quest as we learn the truth about Clank’s origins and Ratchet must come to terms with the fact that he may be the last Lombax in the galaxy. A Crack in Time also allowed players to actually explore the galaxy, landing on random planets and small moons. It’s the kind of game that makes you remember why you love the series so much.