Mobile health bus makes maintaining health more convenient

People can stop by a CVS, Walgreens or any other store to get over-the-counter medication or see a medical professional while others may not get to one of these places. Many health care organizations are starting to see the opportunity in going to the people.

According to Tisha Reid, associate director for the Indiana University National Center of Excellence in Women’s Health, communities are seeing more mobile health clinics.

“We aren’t just a health fair on wheels,” Reid said.

Starting in 2012, National Center of Excellence in Women’s Health, The Making Healthy Choices program, from the Indiana University School of Medicine, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, uses the Women’s Wellness on Wheels (WOW) bus to improve the status of women’s health in Indiana by: raising awareness and providing health services, education and free screening for women, especially those around the age of 14-24 and their families.

Sandy Metzer, a nurse practitioner with the Making Healthy Choices program said that students are aware of their health practices and choices and are making that step to live a healthy lifestyle.

“It’s not easy sometimes to take rime out of your work schedule, make an appointment and get to a doctor’s office,” Metzer said.

“So, I think coming out here just makes it more convenient for people.”

They don’t just give numbers; the main goal of their program is to help connect people with resources they need stay healthy, especially women in inner-city and rural areas, and college women. The bus visits high schools in Indianapolis and colleges and universities such as Indiana University Kokomo, Ivy Tech and Indiana State University.

Staff on the WOW bus can help patients find ways to get insurance or find a doctor or medical practitioner if they do not have one. Other services offered include: checking of blood pressure, height, weight, body mass index (BMI), glucose level and urine pregnancy test upon request.

Going through everyday challenges in life can affect health. Students, like other adults, don’t take the necessary time to get a check-up. Often, students are not aware of the resources that they need while in college, like health center services.

According to the 2014 Making Healthy Choices data from the IU National Center of Excellence in Women’s Health, 32% of college students were uninsured; 44% did not have a health care provider. The WOW bus helps students learn where they can go to get resources while they are still in school.

Along with making other stops throughout Indiana, the WOW bus will be coming back to Ball State this upcoming fall and spring school year. This year is their second year coming to Ball State.