Vandalism angers owner of Village Green Records, other Village employees

<p>Steven Reid, an&nbsp;employee of Jani-King, a commercial sanitation service, had to clean off ketchup of Let's Spoon&nbsp;on April 27 in the Village. <em style="background-color: initial;">DN PHOTO SARA BARKER</em></p>

Steven Reid, an employee of Jani-King, a commercial sanitation service, had to clean off ketchup of Let's Spoon on April 27 in the Village. DN PHOTO SARA BARKER

A GoFundMe page was started to raise money for Village Green Records. The goal of $500 will be used to buy a new table for the lawn.

A recent wave of vandalism was the last straw for a Village business owner. 

Travis Harvey, owner of Village Green Records, couldn't take a recent act of vandalism lightly. The picnic table in front of the store was overturned and broken, and instead of fixing it himself, Harvey decided to take a different approach.

Harvey left the table where it lay and made a sign to set next to it, calling attention to the act of vandalism.

“Instead of just picking up the pieces and just acting like nothing happened, I wanted to really make more of a public statement,” Harvey said.

Although this is the first time Harvey has called attention to the destruction of his business, he said the act itself is nothing new.

“I’ve been targeted for eight years,” Harvey said. “At one point, I had a little container that was full of CDs that I would make for people, like little mixes, and after about the first three times that that was ripped off or had been kicked or thrown, I kind of stopped doing that.”

Harvey said it’s also common to find trash thrown on his lawn or yard signs stolen. He thinks the culprit is mainly intoxicated students and an overall lack of respect for other people.

Kyle Raines, a four-year manager at The Cup, has also witnessed vandalism of his Village business.

“Nothing major, no [broken] windows or nothing like that," Raines said. "I had a couple tables stolen, chairs stolen, flowers broken. ... Anything that’s not bolted down, people will take these days.”

Raines also said when the weather starts to warm up, vandalism becomes more frequent, as people are outside more. Raines said the majority of vandalism occurs between 3 a.m. and 6 a.m., when people start to leave bars and walk back home.

“It’s not necessarily the monetary value. It’s just [that] people put a lot of work in to make something look nice for everybody to enjoy, and it only takes a couple people to ruin that,” Raines said.

On the morning of April 27, Steven Reid was cleaning a trail of ketchup off of Village business windows, including Let’s Spoon Frozen Yogurt.

Reid is an employee of Jani-King, a commercial sanitation service. He has been cleaning messes in the Village for about a year. The vandalism is disappointing, he said.

“Sometimes I get kind of pissed. I’m thinking, ‘Man, these are the dumbest kids ever.’ But then again, I get paid to do [clean it up], so I don’t mind,” Reid said.

Despite the thievery and destruction, Raines said The Cup will not be leaving its Village location anytime soon.