Student gains political experience interning for congressman

<p>Steven Williams, a senior political science and criminal justice major, is interning at the office of Congressman G.K Butterfield. PHOTO COURTESY OF FACEBOOK</p>

Steven Williams, a senior political science and criminal justice major, is interning at the office of Congressman G.K Butterfield. PHOTO COURTESY OF FACEBOOK

After a childhood full of political exposure, one Ball State student is fulfilling his dream of working in different levels of government through an internship this semester.

Steven Williams, a senior political science and criminal justice major, is interning at the office of Congressman G.K Butterfield. Williams said he has been interested in politics since he was young.

“My father was very hands-on in Chicago politics,” Williams said. “He would take me to political protests. I really see [politics] as a way to help the community.”

John Rouse, a political science professor, told Williams about the opportunity. The internship gives Williams opportunities to mix the academics of public administration with practical applications, which are the ways elected people make laws in Washington, Rouse said.

“[Williams] is a people person,” Rouse said. “He not only talks the talk of institutions, ideas and people — he walks the walk of sharing and acting with others. He learns by doing.”

Originally, Williams applied for a position during the summer of 2015. After being declined, he decided to apply again for a semester position. The application process included a résumé, letters of recommendation and two essays. He finished the application in mid-November, and heard back a month later.

On the job, Williams is a communications intern. He is responsible for writing to constituents, social media management and researching legislation. He is also responsible for video production for the website and YouTube.

There are 22 interns in Williams’s cohort. Three of his cohort members have secured jobs at the office after the internship ends, but Williams has plans for graduate school.

“I want to go for education, work for student affairs,” Williams said.

He also has future goals in politics. In college, Williams’ primary goal was to work in three levels of government — city, county and federal, he said.

“After college, I want to work for three more levels of government — city council, the state senate and also be a United States representative,” Williams said. “Working with the city, I could get a more hands-on experience. After that, I could reach out to more of Chicago and the surrounding area, ending with the state of Illinois. I want to make an impact and then build on that impact.”

No matter where in government he is working, Williams wants to make a difference in his community.

“It’s a way of giving back,” Williams said.