SAT to host 15th annual 24 hour service event to give back to community

Reminders for those attending: 

1.  Remember to arrive at least 30 minutes earlier than the shift you signed up for to check-in at DeHority Complex. You will receive your location of service and transportation instructions there.
  2. If you are with a student organization, check in at DeHority because you will need to sign waivers and receive your free t-shirt in order to participate.
  3. Wear closed-toe shoes and jeans. 24 Hours of Service T-shirts should be worn during the participation at the service sites.

If you haven't signed up but want to participate, there is still time. Sign up here.

One student organization will spend 24 hours volunteering and giving back to the Muncie community. 

The Student Action Team will be hosting its 15th annual 24 Hours of Service event from 5 p.m. April 8 to 5 p.m. April 9 throughout Muncie. 

SAT hosts several educational events open to all Ball State students throughout the year, but 24 Hours of Service is the biggest volunteering event.

“24 Hours is our end of the year event where students can give back to the Muncie community,” said Jenna Van Dyke, SAT president. “This is an amazing way to get those last minute service hours in before they’re due. By volunteering, students also show members of the community that we care about the community outside of Ball State.”

In all, 24 Hours of Service will involve more than 120 students and 20 organizations around the community like Muncie ARF, Boys and Girls Club of Muncie, Liberty Village and Huffer Memorial.

“It was so important that we have other organizations involved,” Van Dyke said. “It’s a good way to get involved and give back to the community we live in the majority of the year. We love working with other organizations and forming partnerships for upcoming years.”

Contrary to the title, volunteers are not expected to work the full 24 hours. Instead, each volunteer will work two- or four-hour time frames and will be expected to help out however they can at the places they are assigned to.

The activities of the event have varied from year to year, said Haley Reifel, SAT vice present for service. The students will do a variety of tasks including spring cleaning, lawn and yard work, painting and cleaning chairs, tables and wheelchairs.

Some of the late overnight activities will also include making cat and dog treats, card writing for soldiers and creating tie blankets.

The main focus of 24 Hours of Service is to develop the relationship of student leaders and service to the larger community, Reifel said.

“We are trying to give back to the community we habitat for the four years of college,” Reifel said. “We need to remember as students the community is not here to give to us but we are here to becomes leaders of tomorrow, and give back to the community.”