HOW TO ADULT: Going to the doctor

<p><em>PHOTO COURTESY OF PEXELS.COM</em></p>

PHOTO COURTESY OF PEXELS.COM

If you can't remember the last time you went to the doctor, it's been too long, said Delaware County health adviser Mary Hammond.

While going to college may mean going far away from your normal doctors, Hammond said visiting the necessary doctors regularly should not stop.

Below, Hammond recommended doctors to visit in accordance with the Association of American Physicians and Surgeons.

Family Doctor:

How often you should go: If you're not sick, once a year for annual check-ups and flu shots, or several times a year if you're suffering from illnesses, need immunity shots or are pregnant.

Details: This annual check-up should include a height and weight check, a blood pressure screening, a clinical breast exam and any blood tests your doctor deems necessary, Moore said. These may include tests for blood sugar, blood count, hormone levels and other crucial markers. Annual check-ups are also recommended to update your family doctor with your weight, height and any changes in your blood, for example. 

Referral?: No, but you need to find a family doctor. If word-of-mouth doesn't work, the College of Physicians and Surgeons has a list of doctors accepting new patients.

Dentist:

How often you should go: Six months for a cleaning, once a year for X-rays 

Details: Do you smoke? Floss every day? Eat well? Make sure to hit up the dentist’s chair twice a year for cleanings and other preventative maintenance, but you should only get dental X-rays on an as-needed basis to prevent unnecessary exposure to radiation, according to the American Dental Association’s recommendations.

Referral?: No.

Dermatologist:

How often you should go: Once a year, and in warmer months if you're seeking advice on skin protection from the sun.

Details: If you're curious about the condition of your skin overall or have general inquires, once a year is sufficient. Skin cancer is a huge issue for men and women in their 20s, so see your dermatologist before your appointment if you notice any suspicious marks.

Referral?: Yes for medical procedures (like acne and moles), no for cosmetic procedures (like wrinkles or sunspots).

Gynecologist:

How often you should go: Once a year or every three years (depending on your situation) — for many women, their regular doctor is sufficient

Details: Women over the age of 18 (both sexually active and not) should see a gynecologist (or someone with whom to discuss reproductive concerns) at least once a year. Even if you aren’t getting an annual pap smear, it’s important to visit your OB/GYN annually for a routine pelvic exam, where the doctor will feel around for your uterus and ovaries. At 40, you’ll want to start scheduling annual mammograms, though your doctor may recommend screening earlier if you have a family history.

Referral?: Yes — if you have specific concerns or are pregnant, your doctor can refer you to a gynecologist.

Optometrist:

How often you should go: Age dependent, but roughly, once every two to three years.

Details: The American Optometric Association recommends eye exams at least once every two years, though annual exams are suggested for anyone with current vision problems (if you wear glasses or contacts, that includes you). 

Referral?: No.

Occupational Therapist:

How often you should go: Depending on the treatment, visits can vary from once a month to once every few years

Details: Occupational therapists cover everything from stress management to exercises to build strength after an injury. Depending on your mood, injury and age, some clients visit OTs regularly to receive therapy. 

Referral?: No.

Colonoscopy/Proctologists:

How often you should go: Every 10 years (for people with average or low risks of colon-related illnesses) 

Details: For most people, colorectal cancer screenings begin at the age of 50. Screenings should depend on your age, your risk factor and the type of screening you want. 

Referral?: Yes, by your family doctor.

Allergist:

How often you should go: For those who have allergic reactions, depending on the type of test, it could vary from every two to four weeks for the first five months and later, once a month for the next three to five years.

Details: Allergy shots help your body get used to allergens — they actually don't cure you from having allergic reactions. If you suffer from any allergic reactions during spring or summer months and medicine doesn't seem to do the trick, these shots are designed to lower your risk of symptoms. 

Referral?: Yes, initially by your family doctor.

Other regular checkups:

STD screening: It’s recommended that sexually active individuals get tested for chlamydia and gonorrhea annually until age 25. After that, it’s still recommended that you get tested regularly for the range of STDs — including hepatitis B and C, syphilis and the lesser-known trichomoniasis — based on your own risk factors, which you should discuss with your doctor.

Cholesterol, triglycerides and blood count: Your doctor will want to check these at least once in your 20s and once in your 30s, though some physicians give a guideline of testing them once every five years.

Thyroid test: Starting at age 35, it’s recommended that you check your thyroid levels via a blood test and have them re-tested every five years after that.

Diabetes screening: Routine diabetes screenings (which involve a blood sugar test) start at age 50 and should be done once every three years.