HOW TO ADULT: Finding a summer job

<p><em>PHOTO COURTESY OF BALL STATE UNIVERSITY</em></p>

PHOTO COURTESY OF BALL STATE UNIVERSITY

Places to consider applying:

• Local merchants
  • Small businesses
  • Corporate offices
  • Stores at the mall
  • Hotels and resorts
  • Tourist attractions
  • Golf and tennis clubs
  • Grocery stores
  • Fast food and restaurants
  • Parks and recreation departments
  • Local government summer job programs
  • Summer camps

As the semester comes to a close and students prepare to go home for the summer, many are still looking for jobs. 

Whether it's to help pay off student debt or just to pocket some cash, finding a job isn't as easy as just wanting one.

Last summer, sophomore education major Allison Rogers spent several weeks looking for a job after coming home for the summer, she said. With little prior work experience, Rogers said it was tough to try and find a job in such a little amount of time.

"I want to work during the summers because it helps me get some money in my account to pay off my student loans, and I feel like I can go out with friends and spend money and not freak out about it," she said. "But I had a really hard time trying to just get a job. I went to at least a dozen different places in my hometown trying to see who could hire, but I got turned down so many times — it was almost depressing."

After continuous searching, Rogers said she was able to find work at a local retail store, but with few hours and minimum wage.

If you're looking for a good summer job and need some guidance, Monster.com career counselor Jill Mackey and the Ball State Career Center offer what they can to make your search a little less stressful.

1. Contact past employers

Assuming you've been a good worker in the past, it makes sense to get in touch with those who already know you and have worked with you. Even if your old position isn't available, some employers may be willing to hire you back on in a different capacity.

"Especially if it pertains to ... what you're studying in school, think about networking," Mackey said. "Prior supervisors are usually willing to bring back good workers, and they're even more willing to hire you back if you can show them that you've acquired more knowledge or skills that can help with the job."

And if your former employer doesn't have any positions, ask if you can get a recommendation to a similar job elsewhere.

2. Think seasonally

Some employers — children's camps, park districts, amusement parks, music festivals — staff up for each summer, meaning more job openings are available for college students. 

"Think about local stores, swimming pools, restaurants and organizations that open up during the summer," Mackey said. "These are jobs that will probably pay low, but you can get a lot of hours in if you choose to."

Mackey said many summer camps, even local ones, are great if you're looking to work for just a few weeks as well.

3. Create a job

Have a great skill? An enterprising student may have better results creating a job than finding one, and the experience can be valuable as well, Mackey said.

"Maybe it's mowing lawns or maybe it's cleaning houses," she said. "There are a lot of people who are still willing to pay for one-on-one services, so someone could consider starting something up themselves, or look into helping someone nearby who's also started their own little business."

To market yourself, Mackey said LinkedIn and other social media are key to getting the word out about your services.

4. Use family and friends

Working for a relative or family friend may not be your ideal summer job, but if you're struggling, those connections can be a fairly secure option in case something else doesn't come along.

"If you know someone who owns a business or if your parents could get you a temporary position wherever they work, those networking skills are what usually help most people secure seasonal, summer jobs," Mackey said. 

When meeting or speaking with potential employers of any kind, Mackey said she would highly recommend going and talking with them formally and in person.

5. Check university job boards

A part-time job at school has many great advantages for students who may be staying in Muncie for the summer, and there are many positions available at Ball State for students who are interested.

To check out what positions Ball State has available this summer, log into Cardinal Career Link and consider applying for a job on campus.