Asian American Student Association to host annual week of events

<p><em>PHOTO COURTESY OF STEPHANIE AMADOR AND&nbsp;STEPHANIE VANCE</em></p>

PHOTO COURTESY OF STEPHANIE AMADOR AND STEPHANIE VANCE

Ball State’s Asian American Student Association (AASA) will be hosting its annual Week of Events April 4-8.

The purpose of the week is to teach students about and celebrate Asian culture and heritage. The theme this year is "What's Your Story," according to a press release from AASA.

I’m a Dancer: K-pop dance workshop – 5-7 p.m. April 4 in the L.A. Pittenger Student Center Room 301

Students who attend this event can learn various dances from Korean pop culture, commonly known as K-pop. The workshop will be taught by Isabella Gandy.

A Style of My Own fashion show – 5-7 p.m. April 5 in the Student Center Ballroom

The fashion show will showcase traditional and modern Asian-inspired clothing. Countries included are India, Japan, China and Vietnam.

Part of a Family: Dinner and a movie – 6:30-8:30 p.m. April 6 in the Student Center halls

Students who attend this event will be served dinner from an Asian menu, provided by Ball State Catering. There will be a showing of the documentary “Twinsters.” The movie is about twin sisters from Korea who were adopted into separate families as infants, but reunited through social media.

I am an Athlete: Field and sports day – 6:30-8:30 p.m. April 7 in Ball Gymnasium

The Ball State judo club will perform at this event. Activities will include tug-of-war, dodgeball, a relay and a blindfolded obstacle course. There will also be sumo wrestling suits.

Together as One: Street festival – 5-7 p.m. April 8 on the University Green

The closing event for the week is a street festival. The AASA and other multicultural organizations will have tables with different activities set up. Ball State Catering will provide picnic-style food. There will also be will a raffle for those who have participated in earlier events.