French professor Donald Gilman retires after 42 years

When Donald Gilman isn’t busy as a fellow in research at universities like Harvard and Yale, directing one of more than 50 honors theses or receiving a grant from the Canadian and French governments, he can be found in the North Quad Building teaching French and telling stories of his many travels.

After 42 years as a French professor at Ball State — and after 16 teaching awards and two Outstanding Faculty Awards — Gilman is retiring.

THE BACK DOOR TO TEACHING

As a student at University of North Carolina Chapel Hill, Gilman had no plans of becoming a professor. With intentions to earn a degree in English or history and pursue a career in law, he came to be a French professor by accident.

“Life is built upon accidents, and in my case, it was serendipity,” he said.

Gilman was required to take a foreign language course as an undergraduate, and that’s when he realized he could read American literature just fine on his own time. But because he had trouble reading in French, he decided to pursue a French degree to help him master the skill.

Places Gilman has traveled

“It opened up an entirely new culture, new civilization [and] a world that I really had not thought too much about,” he said.

After earning his master’s degree, Gilman began looking for a teaching position. He was soon hired at a branch of the College of William and Mary.

“I truly enjoyed students. … I truly enjoyed teaching,” he said. “I found it exciting and rewarding.”

After teaching there for two years, Gilman went back to school to get his doctorate.

As he finished up his PhD, a contract position at Ball State opened. Gilman applied, along with about 180 other applicants, and got the job.

“In many respects, I came to teaching somewhat through a back door, but I still entered the house, and I have had no regrets about my decision,” he said.

‘AN AMBIANCE I HAD NOT KNOWN’

When Gilman first came to Ball State, he was surprised by the sense of community within the university.

“There was very much a sense of community, not only within the department, but departments with other departments and also with the Muncie community. There was a community as well between teachers and students,” he said. “In many respects, it was an ambiance I had not known. In college and in grad school, everything seems to be much more impersonal.”

Gilman said one of the communities he’s enjoyed at Ball State is that of his colleagues.

“Teaching is necessarily an interactive experience,” he said. “If one doesn’t enjoy students and one’s colleagues, then it is difficult, I think, to enjoy the opportunities of teaching. And I have benefited tremendously from that.”

Dorothy Stegman, an associate professor of French, has worked with Gilman for 15 years. She reminisced on hearing about Gilman’s travels, which includes all of the contiguous U.S. states except for Washington and all of Western Europe.

“Besides being a gentleman and a statesman, he is a raconteur and has entertained us with stories of eccentric characters, cruises on the Rhine and hikes in the Rockies,” she said.

Hannah Partridge, a sophomore creative writing major, said Gilman’s stories help build a relationship with the students, as well as keep them engaged.

“Occasionally, he’ll tell us stories about his own life and where he’s traveled, and it keeps us really engaged,” Partridge said. “He asks where we’re from and [about] our lives, so it deepens that relationship between professor and student, and it makes it easier to talk to him when we do have questions about quiz material and things like that.”

Since he began working here, Gilman has adopted a student-centered teaching philosophy. He even opted out of having a retirement reception, donating the money that would have been used for the event to create scholarships.

“My reaction upon hearing of his retirement was to think about his legacy and how much he has given to the students, his colleagues, the university and the profession,” Stegman said. “One of his important contributions has been the fostering of the Nancy, France, graduate and undergraduate exchanges with the University of Lorraine.”

Partridge, a French minor who will be studying at the University of Lorraine in Spring 2017, said Gilman was the one who encouraged her to finish her minor and study abroad.

Gilman has made it a point to encourage students to study abroad, as learning the importance and richness of diversity is something he values.

“When an American studies in … France or another foreign country, they first of all have to begin to realize that they are a minority. And this is a wonderful [teaching moment],” he said. “They can now begin to empathize with diversity, and with that diversity, they then begin to see the richness of a culture and civilization.”

Aside from engaging with the students and faculty, Gilman said he has enjoyed being able to further his own studies and research.

“This has required some sacrifice on my part. I’m in a field that requires travel to France … and the time to write,” he said. “But the sacrifice is rewarding, and I am pleased that I have been able to publish three books, over 50 articles and reviews and to have presented my work at over 100 conferences in this country and in Europe.”

CLOSING THE DOOR

As someone who has enjoyed working with his students and fellow faculty members, Gilman said he struggled with deciding to retire.

“There are other things I want to do, but in coming to the decision [to retire], I had second, third, fourth thoughts,” Gilman said.

Among those other things includes moving to Washington, D.C., and spending the summers hiking in Colorado.

“I knew Washington many years ago, and I also spent a semester-length sabbatical in Washington two years ago,” Gilman said. “The city is gracious. It has numerous cultural activities, and it has an airport accessible to international destinations.”

Gilman’s plans for the next year include traveling to Cuba and seeing the Greek ruins in Sicily.

“I know he’s going to have an awesome time,” Partridge said. “He’s already told us about his plans, so I’m excited for him.”

While his post-retirement plans are full of adventure, Gilman said his decision to retire came with bittersweet emotions.

“When you truly enjoy teaching and the opportunities afforded by the university, it is difficult to close the door and walk away, but there is a time and place for everything,” Gilman said. “And this is a time for me to now pursue other interests.”