Strong body, strong mind: One student's journey to becoming a bodybuilder

During the posing round the judges asked all the contestants to strike the same pose so that each contestant could be studied and compared for judging. With seven other girls on stage it

Carly Gemmecke, a senior dietetics major, won first runner-up during the 2016 Mr. & Ms. Ball State Competition. She has been training for bodybuilding competitions for over a year and will participate in three different competitions during her senior year. Along with being a full-time student and spending hours in the Recreation Center every day, Gemmecke also holds an almost full-time job.

To see all the winners and photos of the other contestants, go to our gallery.

Gemmecke's workout routine varies depending on the day. She switches out working on her legs, back, chest and shoulders and works on her arms and abs every day in combination with cardio. 

During the competition, Gemmecke will have a 45-second routine on the John R. Emens Auditorium stage to show the judges and audience all her hard work.

Gemmecke spends an average of eight hours a week in the recreational center on campus on top of taking a full load of classes and holding an almost full-time job.

Before changing into her bikini for the competition, Gemmecke lays it out on her apartment floor. For her previous competition, she wore heels and a different bikini, so she’s excited to switch it up. 

Gemmecke describes competing in bodybuilding as a mental sport. The months of training involved a lot of early morning workouts and tracking what she ate. She had to remain strong in order to reach her goal.

Thursday was a busy day for Gemmecke. She went to her classes, hurried back to her apartment and finished a paper and immediately started getting ready for the competition.

Before the competition, Gemmecke gets ready in her apartment. She puts on her bikini, makeup and jewelry before heading to Emens, where she will complete getting ready.

Before leaving her apartment for the competition, Gemmecke eats a piece of toast and some broccoli. As a dietetics major, she knows what her body needs to stay healthy and functioning.

This was Gemmecke’s second competition, so she knew what to expect when she got on stage. Gemmecke said the more stage time a contestant can get, the easier the process becomes. 

During the posing round, the judges asked all the contestants to strike the same pose so each contestant could be studied and compared for judging. With seven other girls on stage, it’s important for each one to held the pose while flexed and try not to move for a long period of time. 

Gemmecke knew she didn’t want her freestyle performance to just be posing on stage. She decided to do the splits at the end of her routine to make it unique and fun.

Gemmecke accepts her first runner-up trophy from Grant Elliot, a former competitor who helped her along the way. 

Gemmecke shows off her first runner-up trophy to her friends and family after completing the show. Her parents and close friends showed up to the competition to cheer her on.

Gemmecke poses for photos with each of her friends after the show. She had a wide range of people helping and supporting her during her journey to competing.