Autism Walk Raises Awareness and Funds In Muncie

The Autism Walk will take place in Muncie this weekend to raise awareness and money for families living with autism. This is the 10th Annual Autism Walk put on by Interlock.

About 1,000 people are expected to attend the event. According to Chad Shelley, the President of the Interlock board, many of the people in attendance, including himself, will have a personal connection to autism.

“Lots of things have gone into this walk over the years. We have a number of volunteers who have a personal connection to the autism world, whether it is loved ones or children with autism. They are trying to find a way to get involved and be connected.”

Interlock is a program in Muncie that works to connect families living with autism to service providers in the community. They also hold monthly support group meetings for parents and family members. Interlock was started about 10 years ago, just a few years before Shelley’s son was diagnosed with autism.

“Back when my son was diagnosed was my first experience with autism. When you first receive that diagnosis, it feels like a time bomb is laid in your lap and you’re expected to figure it out.”

Shelley said with his son at such a young age, they didn’t know what the future would hold for him.

“We always think of our son or daughter being just like us some day, so the reality set in that that might not be the case.”

Shelley said one day, his son was sent home from school with a flier for the Autism Walk, and from there, Shelley asked how he could get more involved.

“I really needed to get to know what it was like for my son. I wanted to learn some things to better know him.”

Shelley added that getting involved with Interlock and other services around the community has been an integral part of his understanding of autism as a father. His son has taught him is to celebrate the small things in life.

Shelley said the walk is more about acceptance for families with autism than it is about awareness.

“No one will look at you funny or judge you if your child has a difficult moment during the walk. It’s a visual of hope in the community.”

Kyle Bell, the lead program coordinator at the Hillcroft ABA Clinic in Muncie, one of the services Interlock works with, agreed and said the walk is an amazing experience.

“I just think about the parents and what they go through. I’m with these kids a few hours a day and then the parents are with them the rest of the day and are living with this,” Bell said.

The Autism Walk will take place at the Delaware County Fairgrounds April 30. Registration begins at 10 a.m. The walk begins at noon and ends at 2 p.m. There is no charge to attend the walk, but Interlock is asking for a $25.00 donation if walkers would like a T-shirt.