‘Angry Video Game Nerd II: ASSimilation’ is everything fans want

This review is based on a playthrough on a PC running Windows 10 on an NVIDIA Geforce GTX, intel i7 processor, with 8 Gb of RAM.

He’s the angriest gamer you’ve ever heard, he’s the Angry Video Game Nerd! James Rolfe popularized his persona, the Angry Video Game Nerd, with his bombastic personality, strong language, and over-the-top sketches largely influencing the genre of let’s players and internet reviewers alike. After reviewing well over a hundred classic games, hints of a Nerd video game filled longtime fans with excitement. The release of his first game, Angry Video Game Nerd Adventures was a was received reasonably well, garnering a 77 on Metacritic, with fans of the Nerd excited to play more. Angry Video Game Nerd II: ASSimilation succeeds not only meeting in fans expectations, but exceeding them.

Vandal

Improved Gameplay

The first noticeable update is the format of the overworld. The overworld is no longer just a few stages to choose between like in the first game. Instead, the map selection strongly resembles that of Super Mario Brothers 3.  Like in the first game, the player has the option of choosing which stage to attempt first and can proceed through the selected path of levels. Instead of one long stage, the stages are split into smaller sections with various gameplay styles, such as side scrolling shooters, platformers, and single boss battles.

These sets of stages are all connected by a theme; one set of stages has an early 1900’s monster film theme utilizing various monsters and in mostly black and white. This makes the game layout much better than the first game simply because the themes are stronger and the length of the levels is split up. AVGN 2 remedies the problems of stage length from the first game by breaking up the longer stages and creating a more enjoyable experience.

Vandal

In a game that is meant to infuriate the player with its difficulty, fast-paced precision platforming and easy-to-use controls are a necessity. Because of this, the most important addition to Angry Video Game Nerd II: ASSimilation is the ability to jump from wall to wall to proceed through the stage, similar to the mechanics in the Ninja Gaiden series. Despite a steep learning curve, the controls are flawless and easy to pick up on. This new feature allows for more diverse gameplay and more interesting stage designs which utilize the new jumping feature in creative ways. In addition, the new mechanic makes the action much more fast-paced than in the first game. Instead of simple platforming, wall jumping allows the player to move through the stage quickly as opposed to regular jumping to reach the next platform in every stage.

NES Style Difficulty

What makes the AVGN games notable is the dedication to emulate the difficulty found in older NES games. While you can decide what difficulty setting to play on, you will die multiple times on any of them. Playing on Easy is no walk through the park and you will experience many situations that require practice in order to continue. The game gives you 50 lives, but certain levels will leave you wishing for more.

Silicon Era

There are various unlockable weapons that can be found in the game, but it is most likely you will have to replay levels multiple times to find them. This is simply because surviving some of the more difficult areas required fumbling through the stage as quickly as possible without time to look for hidden areas.

A Game for the Fans

Angry Video Game Nerd II: ASSimilation is full of references to episodes of The Angry Video Game Nerd and various games he has reviewed. From The Legend of Zelda to Battletoads, there is a tons of nostalgia present. Speaking of Nostalgia, fans of Doug Walker’s character, The Nostalgia Critic, will be pleased to find the main antagonist of the game is the Nostalgia Critic himself! With these two familiar faces cast as the main characters and constant nods to older NES classics, there is a ton of material to satisfy. While these factors are great for longtime fans, those who are unfamiliar with these characters may feel a bit alienated.

Steam

For those who are not fans of The Angry Video Game Nerd, the constant use of foul language may be off-putting and references that entice fans may seem meaningless. Overall, this is a game made to please fans of the AVGN, not bring in an unfamiliar audience.

TL;DR

Angry Video Game Nerd II: ASSimilation is the perfect follow up to the first Angry Video Game Nerd game. New gameplay elements invite new and inventive ways to traverse through the colorful levels that veterans from the first game know all too well. The difficulty of the game promotes long practice sessions while the unlockable material gives it replay ability.

+Improved game play mechanics

+Great soundtrack

+Unlockables

+Difficulty selection

-Short game

-Niche audience could alienate newcomers

Featured image from: Square Faction