Six signs you're a criminal justice major

<p><em>DN FILE PHOTO SAMANTHA BRAMMER</em></p>

DN FILE PHOTO SAMANTHA BRAMMER

You know you're a criminal justice major when..

“You get excited when you tour a prison.” – Nikki Sass, senior

Though her Institutional Corrections classmates shared in the excitement, friends and family found it a little strange.

“People always ask if you want to be a cop.” – Lexy Rodriguez, sophomore

A common assumption is that all criminal justice majors want to be cops, but there are many different job possibilities in the criminal justice field, such as private security, probation officers, as well as the FBI and DEA.

“Family and friends ask you what certain laws are or what they mean.” – Joshua Arter, first-year graduate student

Just because someone is a criminal justice major, that doesn't mean they have all the answers. Arter said in reality he Googles the law and scans the state's criminal code when asked what certain laws mean.

“You like to help people.” – Noah Pierce, freshman

Criminal justice majors will do anything to protect the people they care about: family, friends and others in the criminal justice field, Pierce said. Their only aim isn't just to put bad guys away, but to protect and serve their communities.

"You absolutely love crime shows." – Arter

Not just "CSI" and "Criminal Minds" — many true-life crime shows spark the interest of criminal justice majors. "Where others see gruesome, unimaginable acts of cruelty, we see a chance to try and understand criminals better. We don't shy away from blood and gore, because that's where the answers lie," Arter said.

“[You] have a strong view for justice.” – Pierce

Criminal justice majors, like the name suggests, strive for justice. They also tend to be more on edge and guarded, because they see what people are capable of, Pierce said.