Summit wins close SGA election

<p>The slate Summit, comprised of James Wells,&nbsp;presidential candidate;&nbsp;Ana Batres,&nbsp;vice presidential candidate;&nbsp;Brock Frazer,&nbsp;secretarial candidate;&nbsp;and&nbsp;Emily Halley, tresorial candidate won the 2016-17 Student&nbsp;Government&nbsp;Elections. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY</p>

The slate Summit, comprised of James Wells, presidential candidate; Ana Batres, vice presidential candidate; Brock Frazer, secretarial candidate; and Emily Halley, tresorial candidate won the 2016-17 Student Government Elections. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

Margins in past years: 

• 2016 — Summit won by 2 percentage points
  • 2015 — Atlas won by 5 percentage points
  • 2014 — Cardinal Connection won by 2 percentage points
  • 2013 — Spark won by 5 percentage points

Summit won the 2016 Student Government Association elections with a close margin — only by 2 percentage points.

SGA presidential nominee James Wells received a call at 5:21 p.m. from Elections Board Chair Casey Miller.

Wells had a professional and composed expression as he spoke to Miller.

See photos from the SGA Slate Parties here.

The phone call was short, and the room got quiet in anticipation of what they thought would be disappointing news.

Once Wells hung up the phone, he turned to everyone and yelled, “We won.” The entire room — including Wells — erupted and jumped with excitement.

There were 3,392 votes total, and Summit beat out 18 by only 62 votes. Summit received 1,727, according to a press release sent out by the Elections Board.

Wells said he couldn’t believe the odds of winning, because two years prior, his campaigning slate lost by only 81 votes.

"Two years ago, I was on a campaign because they lost their campaign manager. We knew then that we were going to have a hard battle. … We had no money, we had no followers,” Wells said. “This time around, my campaign manager had a lot more time, a little bit more money. … I’m just glad all of this hard work is paying off.”

Vice presidential nominee Ana Batres said she was overwhelmed by all the emotions.

“I’m still anxious, but I’m excited. It’s just a lot of feelings right now,” Batres said. “It’s been a roller coaster, it’s had its ups and downs, but I’m glad we’ve reached that summit, and I’m excited for what’s next.”

Tresorial nominee Emily Halley also said she was still shocked from the news, but was also excited for the year to come.

“I’ve kind of had both sides prepared in my head, but it's awesome to be able to represent the student body. It’s such a honor,” Halley said. “This whole experience has been truly amazing. … I’m just so thankful for our trailblazers, [our supporters]. I’m going be so thankful for forever for their support along the way these past two weeks.”

Secretarial nominee Brock Frazer said he was thankful for the people he has in his life.

“I wouldn’t want to do this with anybody else. I’ve learned so much; I’m just glad to see it all come together," he said.

18 came in second place with 1,665 votes.

The slate and its supporters gathered in David Letterman Communication and Media Building Studio D to wait for the results. People appeared to be calm and collected as presidential candidate Matt King received the phone call from Miller.

King said everything happened for a reason, and he is grateful for the experience — regardless of how it turned out.

“At the end of the day, we ran this campaign to the highest standards that we uphold,” King said. “It was something that was a great run for all us, we got to meet so many fantastic students on this campus; …I’m excited to see what the future holds.”

Vice presidential candidate Greg Carbo said he took away so much from the experience of running for executive slate.

“Well, first and foremost, I’ve gotten to see this school in a different light. I’ve had the opportunity to meet so many different people. I’ve grown so close to this team, we’ve become a family,” Carbo said. “Yeah I’m pretty bummed, but the school decided that’s what they want to do, and more power to them. I hope Summit does a fantastic job in senate, and I wish them the best of luck.”

Summit's inauguration will be on April 20 at 3:15 p.m. in L.A. Pittenger Student Center Cardinal Hall A.