Ball State freshman excited for feature in student art show

The 81st annual Ball State Student Art Show is running in the Atrium Gallery until March 17 and Hanna Morris, a freshmen art student, couldn’t believe when she heard her pieces made it into the show.

“I was so excited to get into the show. Being a freshmen in the foundations courses, I really didn’t think that both of the pieces I submitted would get into the show,” Morris said.

Morris is one of 59 students featured in the show. Morris said art for her is not only a career path, but also a way to have fun and examine the world around her.

"You get to explore all these things that normal people don't notice. You really pay attention to the detail and how things work, how the body moves, and how things are held together. You have that deeper sense of craft to you,” Morris said.

Morris has two pieces featured in the show. One is a set of two watercolor paintings depicting pie ingredients in one, and a finished pie in the other. Morris’ second piece is an abstract graphite drawing made up of circles and triangles.

Morris said she spent the majority of her time in studio working on her pieces, but the hard work has paid off.

"For the pie pieces I had just over two weeks and I spent every second in class and way too much time outside of class on those, and then for my graphite drawing, a lot of time," Morris said, laughing at the thought.

Morris’ pieces, as well as the others, went on display in the gallery on Feb. 27.

Arne Flaten, the director of the School of Art at Ball State, said the student art show takes an enormous amount of planning and includes several forms of art.

"As you might anticipate there will be glass, animation, drawing and painting, print making, ceramic, small metals and jewelry, also visual arts, that is things that are time based," Flaten said.

The gallery is accepting donations, and will be open Tuesday through Friday, 10 a.m to 4 p.m, and Saturday 1 p.m. to 4.