Phone app teaches users how to improve oral sex

Go to lickthisapp.com on your phone to try it. Make sure to use protection.

Sex education is taking on a whole new meaning with an app from a San Francisco-based team of designers.

“Club Sexy Time” designed an app called Lick This. The point is to teach users how to perform oral sex through games.

The catch? Users lick their phone screens to play.

The app is free and is accessed via web browser, no download necessary. Users go to lickthisapp.com and simply begin licking their screens. Because of how dirty phone screens can be, the app suggests users use protection — like putting plastic wrap or something similar over their screens before playing.

Watch NewsLink reporters test out the app.

There are three different games to help “improve” oral sex skills. They involve flipping a light switch up and down, moving the tongue in circles to sharpen a pencil and jabbing at a beach ball.

Dena Mullins, instructor of physiology and health science, said while the idea is a little out there, she doesn’t think it crosses any boundaries.

“I’m surprised there’s an app for something so private,” Mullins said. “But people are so electronically focused these days and public communication about sexuality is so open. Everything is so mainstream.”

Mullins was most surprised the app is for teaching how to give women oral sex instead of men. Because of America's culture, she said it was shocking to find out it wasn’t someone saying “here’s how to do it, girls."

Maddy Isenbarger, a sophomore film studies major, said she finds the concept of the app hilarious, but she doesn't think it would make anyone magically great at oral sex. 

"I think people would use it as a joke in a group setting, but once alone, anybody would be curious and try it out," Isenbarger said. 

She said she didn't think there was any harm in practicing oral sex on her phone. 

"If you're curious about it, and your heart's in the right place, then go ahead," she said. "Health wise, I would suggest not — your phone is supposed to be dirtier than your toilet seat." 

However, Allison Griffith, a freshman Spanish major, said she finds the concept of the app mildly offensive. It makes a game of intimacy, she said.

“I feel like it devalues physical intimacy as both a personal and learning experience,” Griffith said. “What will [using the app] do to their perception of what intimacy supposed to be?”

But Mullins said she doesn’t feel the app crosses any moral boundaries. The app helps a person learn a skill, and the only other option is to just wing it, she said. However, she said one-on-one communication with one’s partner is more important.

Tackling the safe sex debate, Mullins said because the app suggests covering the phone in plastic wrap beforehand, people might stop and think about protecting themselves.

“It’s too bad they didn’t say something about [safe sex] on the app, but the media rarely mentions it,” Mullins said. “But if you don’t know where something’s been, do you want to put your mouth on it?”

The reason for creating the app was not to promote safe sex or becoming a better sexual partner. 

In an interview with Fast Company, co-creator Chris Allick said those at “Club Sexy Time” thought it would be an “interesting approach to human computer interaction and making people think about their sexuality and maybe start a conversation.”