Nephew of student needs votes to get adaptive bike

<p>Sophomore special education severe interventions major Abbie Christianson is working to raise money to get her 8-year-old nephew, Roan Christianson, an adaptive bike. Roan was born with cerebral palsy and will need assisted care the rest of his life. <em>PHOTO PROVIDED BY ABBIE CHRISTIANSON</em></p>

Sophomore special education severe interventions major Abbie Christianson is working to raise money to get her 8-year-old nephew, Roan Christianson, an adaptive bike. Roan was born with cerebral palsy and will need assisted care the rest of his life. PHOTO PROVIDED BY ABBIE CHRISTIANSON

Voting for the contest ends March 30 and winners will be announced March 31.

For more information on how to vote for Roan or to donate to the organization, visit this website.

Doctors said Roan Christianson wouldn't live more than four days after he was born. 

The 8-year-old nephew of sophomore special education severe interventions major Abbie Christianson was born with cerebral palsy and had a low chance of survival. If he were to live, he would need assisted care for the rest of his life. 

Despite the doctor’s advice, his parents did not sign the no-resuscitation papers and are now living with an energetic son.

“My brother and Roan’s mother made the decision to take care of him and not listen to what the doctors said," Abbie said. "Today he is a happy and fun-loving boy who just wants to live his life, regardless of the disability he has."

Roan uses an iPad in school, allowing him to communicate with his teachers. He learns with educational games to help improve his speech and thinking process.

His father, Andrew Christianson, loves spending time with his son and said Roan is always willing to try new things and loves to learn.

“He loves school," Andrew said. "He enjoys his teachers, and he is always trying new things. It is one thing we think really helps him learn and grow, especially when we can’t be there with him at all times."

Along with going school, learning how to ride a bike is a memorable childhood experience for most kids. Some may achieve it on the first try, but others may need a little more practice. 

For Roan, learning isn’t what is holding him back. Because of his disability, Roan is unable to walk or control the flexion of his leg muscles, and the type of bike that will help him achieve this new experience comes at a hefty price.

An adaptive bike allows children with physical disabilities to improve leg strength, and it would give Roan the opportunity to enjoy the outdoors with family members who want to ride bikes with him. 

Each bike is built differently, adapted to the needs of the individual. Roan's bike would include an additional bike so an adult could enjoy the ride with him.

Friendship Circle, a non-profit organization that provides programs and support to families of individuals with special needs, works to raise awareness to get adaptive bikes for children with special needs.

“It would be a great way for him and I to ride together," Andrew said. "He loves the outdoors but can get tired easily. Instead of being able to only ride around the neighborhood, we can ride the tandem bike together, and if he gets tired, I can help him pedal the rest of the way."

Children with special needs require balance and mobility challenges to build stamina. Unfortunately for many children and their families, they cannot afford these types of bikes.

Depending on the specific needs of the recipient, adaptive bikes can range from $500 to more than $6,000.

Friendship Circle holds an annual contest where people can create a page for their child or family member to receive donations and votes for the contestant of their choice. Their goal is to give away 600 bikes to everyone who donated and entered the contest. If the goal has not been met by March 31, the contestants with the most votes will win the bikes available.

Lisa Pufpaff, an associate professor in the Department of Special Education, said the bicycle would benefit those who need something more than just a bike.

“An adaptive bicycle can provide the opportunity for a child to build muscle tone and balance, which not only significantly contributes to overall health, but also to cognitive development," Pufpaff said. "There is ample research to support the physical and mental health benefits of physical activity for children with significant physical impairments."

With his love for the outdoors and his drive for independence, Roan’s family is reaching out and asking for any donations that would benefit the cause.

“Winning this contest would really make us happy, but ultimately it is not about winning," Andrew said. "I want people to know about this organization and how this would help out others who need it too."

For more information on how to vote for Roan or to donate to the organization, visit this website.