LSU gives three girls quinceañera of their dreams

The Latino Student Union organized the very first quinceañera to ever happen in Muncie.

On March 19. At Cornerstone Center for the Arts, three girls celebrated their 15th birthday in beautiful gowns with friends and family in attendance. This event is similar to a girl’s Sweet 16.

LSU wanted to give three girls the quinceañera of their dreams. Carlos Mata, LSU President, said it is something that they’ve always wanted to do.

“There’s a separation between the Muncie community, the Latino community, and Latino Student Union. This is an event that brings all three of us together to celebrate these three girl’s young lives,” Mata said.

Mayor Dennis Tyler thought the event was a great idea. He attended the quince and wrote a proclamation. He described Muncie as a ‘blessed community’ and said this event is a great way to promote diversity.

“It shows what a great diverse community we have and how much respect we have for different cultures,” said Mayor Tyler. “I want them to know we’re happy that they’re here and I hope they feel that way when they leave here.”

Alicia Vazquez was one of the three girls who participated in the quince. She says she has mixed feelings about the event but thinks it's an important part of her life.

“I’m happy excited and nervous at the same time but I do think it’s quite essential to have because it’s fun and it signifies a girl becoming a woman,” Vazquez said.

Many of the traditions that happen throughout the event represent the transition to womanhood.

One of the traditions consists of the parents changing the girl’s shoes from flats to heels.

Next, the girl is given a doll by her parents as they dance with the doll to show she is no longer a child.

Last, there is a toast where parents pay tribute to their girls for what they’ve accomplished in life thus far.

Mata explained that although it took a lot of hard work, he was very pleased with the results.

“I think the best part was when the mothers were talking to the girls about how they are grateful for everything,” Mata said. “For me it makes my job easier and more worth it when they are grateful for what they got.”

The Latino Student Union hopes to make this an event that happens each year.