Iconic Female Characters: Tiny Tina and Utena

In honor of Women’s History Month, Byte is doing a month long Byteing Question about the most iconic female characters and why they matter. Every day two writers will look at two characters that are important to them in many different ways. Today, we look at Tiny Tina and Utena

Tiny Tina

by Cailin Reedy

Borderlands is a series well-known for its cursing and carnage.  In outer-space Australia, the times are always tough and the characters are often tougher.  While not an exception to the rough-and-tumble world of Borderlands, Tiny Tina adds another factor: cuteness.  For her skill, prestige, and colorful language in a world that wants her dead, Tiny Tina has earned her place on the Iconic Female Characters list.

The first time I met Tiny Tina in Borderlands 2, I didn’t know what to expect.  She was touted by Roland, a rebel hero, as someone who’d saved his life more times than he could count.  That was fine.  I like tough and capable women because I aim to be one.  But the person I found was somehow a lot shorter than I’d imagined.  And more foul-mouthed.  And younger.  Roland had omitted the “tiny” in Tiny Tina’s name.  The girl I found startled and intrigued me.  She was crude and intelligent and strong, and she was only 13.

Her age and her manner—the way she spoke, the words she used, and the way she navigated the dangerous planet of Pandora—won me over almost instantly.  Here was a character who wasn’t just powerful and intelligent, an irreverent child who’d vowed to take down a corrupt government (as many young fictional women do nowadays).  Here was a girl who was flawed in huge and terrifying ways, who’d come from a violent and tragic past and used her skills to make something of herself by the tender age of 13.  She’d gained the respect and friendship of some of the most powerful and influential characters on the planet.

While Tiny Tina’s past fascinated me, it was her present that grabbed me and wouldn’t let go.  As an important non-player character of Borderlands 2 and its downloadable content, as well as Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel, Tiny Tina’s character develops before the player’s eyes over the course of the games.  Unlike more static characters who have already come into their own, Tiny Tina is still near the beginning of her character arc when players meet her.  She grows and changes and, ultimately, she grows as a person.

Foul mouth and slang terminology aside, Tiny Tina is an immensely strong character not because of her physical bearing, but because of her mental fortitude, strength of will and intelligence.  As an explosives expert, she regularly plays with volatile and highly deadly materials without a second thought.  She counts highly dangerous enemy monsters as pets. Her mental strength is her most important feature.  Even though she spends much of her story in a peppy and manic mental state, Tiny Tina eventually overcomes some of her mental problems by dealing with her own past traumas.  With the help of other people, she learns how to cope.  I learned from Tiny Tina.  Even though she was mentally ill, she wasn’t broken. She could get better.

Utena

by Aidan Hall

As much as I hate the Shoujo genre that Revolutionary Girl Utena belongs to, I would be remiss to not mention Utena herself and the positive image she portrays. Amid a landscape of castles, frilly dresses, and high society where every girl stands to be a princess, Utena strives to be a prince. She is always in constant protest of the standards of her academy and the student council that's always trying to kill her.

Utena disproves all the stereotypes of the typical Shoujo heroine. She is a strong, empowered character that still embraces her feminine details. She isn't a super bulky master of seven ancient techniques, and when she does fight she does use a bit of finesse. When we see her love interest Anthy Himemiya being beaten and abused in a relationship, Utena doesn't save her by running away with her. Instead she turns and fights in a duel for Anthy's freedom. Their relationship is one built on love and friendship, instead of built on Anthy being a foil for the protagonist.

Another fascinating concept is that Utena is always in direct contrast of the male patriarchy of the school. But, she doesn't hate all men. She understands where evil is and isn't afraid to call it out. She isn't just a mindless man eater that has no care for anyone. Utena has found her identity and who she is and accepts those that don't mirror her. Utena isn't a perfect character, she has plenty of faults of her own, but she learns to embrace them.

Utena is a quick to anger, fractured character that doesn't always do the right thing. She has her flaws and she even questions why she does what she does, but she never doubts who she is. Utena is proud to be a prince. She's proud to stand against the flow of time and being unique. She makes Revolutionary Girl Utena a greater show than the sum of it's parts.