Moscow Festival Ballet to perform 'Sleeping Beauty' at Emens

<p>The Moscow Ballet Festival will be performing “Sleeping Beauty” at 7:30 p.m. today at John R. Emens Auditorium. Despite the story being adapted and recreated, the Moscow Ballet Festival company will be telling the original story.<em> PHOTO COURTESY OF BALL STATE</em></p>

The Moscow Ballet Festival will be performing “Sleeping Beauty” at 7:30 p.m. today at John R. Emens Auditorium. Despite the story being adapted and recreated, the Moscow Ballet Festival company will be telling the original story. PHOTO COURTESY OF BALL STATE

What: Moscow Festival Ballet presents "Sleeping Beauty"

When: 7:30 p.m. March 21

Where: John R. Emens Auditorium

Ticket Information: 

Ball State students (with ID): $5 in advance, $10 at the door

Adults: $24 in advance, $29 at the door

Youth 18 & under: $5

Artists Series subscribers: $20 in advance, $29 at the door

4+ subscription package:  $20 in advance, $29 at the door

Groups of 12 or more: $19 each

The Moscow Ballet Festival will be presenting "Sleeping Beauty" at 7:30 p.m. March 21 at John R. Emens Auditorium.

The show has three acts, and the music for the ballet was put together by renowned Russian composer Pyotr Tchaikovsky, who is also known for composing "The Nutcracker" and "Swan Lake." 

Over the years, the story of "Sleeping Beauty" has been adapted, recreated and retold many times by various people, including both an animated and a live-action adaptation by Disney. However, the Moscow Ballet Festival company will be telling the original story of "Sleeping Beauty," which was written by the Grimm Brothers and Charles Perrault. 

The company was founded 25 years ago by its current artistic director Sergei Radchenko, a former ballet performer of the Bolshoi Ballet, and his wife Elena Radchenko, who was a prima ballerina for the Mariinsky-Kirov Theatre. 

In order to reach audiences at smaller venues, the Moscow Ballet Festival company routinely tours in small groups.

The main goal of the company is to present classical Russian ballet to all audiences all over the world and "to stimulate modern viewer interest and need for the art of Russian classical ballet is a main task of our team”, according to its website.