'Breaking Bad' actor RJ Mitte to speak on campus

<p>RJ Mitte will be coming to Ball State on March 21 to speak about "Overcoming Adversity: Turning a Disadvantage into an Advantage" at 7:30 p.m. at Pruis Hall. He is most popularly known for his role as Walter White Jr. in AMC's "Breaking Bad." <em>PHOTO PROVIDED BY LAUREN BERGER</em></p>

RJ Mitte will be coming to Ball State on March 21 to speak about "Overcoming Adversity: Turning a Disadvantage into an Advantage" at 7:30 p.m. at Pruis Hall. He is most popularly known for his role as Walter White Jr. in AMC's "Breaking Bad." PHOTO PROVIDED BY LAUREN BERGER

What: RJ Mitte presenting "Overcoming Adversity: Turning a Disadvantage into an Advantage"

When: 7:30 p.m. March 21

Where: Pruis Hall

RJ Mitte, known most popularly for his role as Walter White Jr. in AMC's "Breaking Bad," will be on Ball State's campus on March 21 to speak about “Overcoming Adversity: Turning a Disadvantage into an Advantage” at 7:30 p.m. at Pruis Hall.

Mitte has been involved with different organizations that raise awareness of equality and diversity. Currently, Mitte works with PACER’s National Center for Bullying Prevention. He openly talks about his cerebral palsy and being bullied, as well as the ways he has overcome obstacles and achieved his high goals.

As fan of his character in "Breaking Bad," freshman telecommunications major Erin Stanis is looking forward to seeing Mitte at his lecture. Stanis said she enjoys the speakers Exellence in Leadership brings to campus. 

“I think it will be powerful and inspiring. [The EIL Speaker Series is] something interesting to do,” Stanis said.

Lauren Berger, assistant director of student life, hopes students will want to overcome their obstacles and achieve high goals after hearing Mitte’s lecture.

“I hope that student’s walk away feeling empowered to face challenges that may come their way while they’re students at Ball State or in the future,” Berger said.

Mitte’s lecture is part of the Excellence in Leadership Speaker Series. Berger worked with Alliance for Disability Awareness and Housing and Residence Life to bring Mitte to Ball State. She believes his lecture — and the series — will cover important issues to help Ball State students grow as leaders.

“I believe overcoming adversity is an important topic, because at some point, all of us will face a difficult situation, but it is how we handle the situation that allows us to move forward in a positive direction and grow as a leader,” Berger said.