Belly Dance Club empowers through dance

<p>The Ball State Belly Dance Club works to promote empowerment and confidence through their events and presentations by using dance. While the club has been perceived as promiscuous, but the club just rubs off any negativity. <em>DN PHOTO EMMA ROGERS</em></p>

The Ball State Belly Dance Club works to promote empowerment and confidence through their events and presentations by using dance. While the club has been perceived as promiscuous, but the club just rubs off any negativity. DN PHOTO EMMA ROGERS

You can find the Belly Dance Club on FacebookTwitter and Instagram.

Many Ball State clubs seek to promote empowerment and confidence through events and presentations. The Ball State Belly Dance Club spreads its message through dance.

Natalie Aragon is the president of the Belly Dance Club. She joined the club her freshman year and became president last fall.

“I had been into cultural dances,” Aragon said. “I wanted to try something different.”

Christian Williams, the club’s vice president, joined the club because she had never had the opportunity to try belly dancing.

“When I found out Ball State had a [belly dance] club, I jumped right in,” Williams said. “It’s been the best decision I’ve made ever since.”

The club practices in the Jo Ann Gora Student Recreation and Wellness Center Room 200D. Its main meeting is at 6 p.m. on Wednesdays, but there are also practices at 5 p.m. on Thursdays and Sundays.

Normally, the club has a formal instructor; however, this year it has frequently been without one. Because students are not technically allowed to teach, dances are demonstrated by Aragon. Members also take lessons at Cornerstone Center for the Arts.

Belly dancing has been perceived as being promiscuous, but Aragon said she wasn’t sure if the perception caused a problem with Ball State when the club was founded in 2008. Currently, she said the club shrugs off any negativity.

“We just have to remember we’re doing a cultural dance,” Aragon said. “We have to remember to be respectful of that culture.”

Despite the stereotype, Aragon said it hasn’t been a problem recruiting new members. They know what they’re getting into, she said.

“[Most new members] think it’s something different and want to try it,” Aragon said. “Sometimes we have problems with girls not being comfortable in the costumes, but they just wear a longer shirt and pants.”

Costumes are traditional American cabaret style, which is also the style of belly dance the club does. The costumes are brightly colored and have lots of sparkles, Aragon said. The music is often fast-faced.

The club has about 10-15 members who perform at various events around campus. The club has performed at Latinapalooza, Late Nite and The Amazing Taste. Sometimes the club is invited to the dorms to perform.

Williams also said belly dancing has improved her confidence. She was previously known as a quiet and shy person, but has since begun talking to people first, instead of waiting for them to come to her.

“I have club to thank for that,” Williams said. “Not only is belly dancing about being confident in oneself but also empowering your mind, body and spirit.”

Currently, the club is preparing for its annual Women’s Week Hafla. Members will be performing solos, duets and group dances. There will also be workshops teaching students to belly dance, some taught by Samantha Karim, Dance Queen 2013.

“The week is really about promoting women’s confidence and empowerment,” Aragon said.

The Hafla is at 7 p.m. March 19 at Pruis Hall.